Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a 1968 GTO that used to be owned by my father in the '70s and '80s. I do not know the VIN #. The only documentation that I have seen on the car is a ticket that my dad has in a scrapbook from doing a burnout in the Holland State Park.

My dad owned the car while he was in Holland, MI and Chicago. It was black with flames, had a Bunky's Speed Shop gold leaf mural on the trunk with the words "Street is Neat", and had 2 carter afb carbs sticking out of the hood. The car was run at Byron Dragway.

The car was sold in Holland, MI in the late '70s or early '80s.

I will try to get some more info from my dad and a picture next time I go home.

I know this is a bit of a longshot but let's see where it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

My sister got an Illinois license plate number off the car from a picture, and a date, 1979, from a ticket.

So with that info I should be able to find some record of the car, assuming that the records still exist.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to obtain the records with the info that was found let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
1979 is a long time ago BUT...you may be able to contact the Illinois Secretary of State's office...they might be able to check the license (from their archives) and get the VIN...with the VIN they may be able to tell you if the car is still in Illinois or if it is still registered somewhere...this would point to it still being a running vehicle...I would bet they would charge for this service if they could even do it but it might be a start...good luck,

Bill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1979 is a long time ago BUT...you may be able to contact the Illinois Secretary of State's office...they might be able to check the license (from their archives) and get the VIN...with the VIN they may be able to tell you if the car is still in Illinois or if it is still registered somewhere...this would point to it still being a running vehicle...I would bet they would charge for this service if they could even do it but it might be a start...good luck,

Bill
Thanks Bill! I did just that earlier this morning. There is a vehicle history request that can be filled out, and yes there is a fee. If this gets me the VIN then I will have to do this same search in Michigan since the goat was sold there by my dad.

This may take a while.
Bobby

·
Registered
60 Posts
odds against

Bobby, I hate to say this but the odds are very much against this car being around today. So many were wrapped around telephone poles by lead footed kids, crushed for their scrap weight, left to rust away, etc. I hope you find it but i doubt you ever will. Good luck in your long long search.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have the VIN and know someone in law enforcement that owes you a favor, the car can be traced to the current owner or it's demise in seconds.

This past spring, the owner from '73 to '85 tracked down his '57 Chevy that I owned this way. Needless to say, I did the right thing and sold it back to him but at a ridiculous price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have the VIN and know someone in law enforcement that owes you a favor, the car can be traced to the current owner or it's demise in seconds.

This past spring, the owner from '73 to '85 tracked down his '57 Chevy that I owned this way. Needless to say, I did the right thing and sold it back to him but at a ridiculous price.
I'm about to send off for a registration search. Hopefully that will get me a VIN. I may need you to send me the name of the guy who bought your '57 and get him to talk his friend into doing a VIN search for me :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts