Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, tonight I'm putting on the last of the bucket seat covers, using Brian's idea about zip ties to make it easier to "catch" the bolsters and it's working like a charm. Folding the bottom edge of the cover back down over the seat foam, stretching as I go... RRRIIIIIIIP!!!!!!! right down the seam. :shutme

[email protected]#$%^&*()_ cheap Chinese CRAP!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

So, who makes decent repro seat covers - recommendations?

Thanks,
Bear

·
Registered
475 Posts
So, tonight I'm putting on the last of the bucket seat covers, using Brian's idea about zip ties to make it easier to "catch" the bolsters and it's working like a charm. Folding the bottom edge of the cover back down over the seat foam, stretching as I go... RRRIIIIIIIP!!!!!!! right down the seam. :shutme

[email protected]#$%^&*()_ cheap Chinese CRAP!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

So, who makes decent repro seat covers - recommendations?

Thanks,
Bear
legendary are considered the best but also the most expensive. pui second. wouldnt uae any others.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I installed the legendary because I read they were better than the pui's. They are nice but they are just vinal and thread. Anything can be screwed up!! crap happens even with the best stuff.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Bear i used the new PUI covers and was very happy with them, they have new dies and are sharp and dimensional , stitching and fit was all top notch and material thick and consistent with the originals.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know what burns me more... having to spend the money or having to wait for them to come in. I had planned to be done with the seats and the headliner this weekend. So far I've only found one source that lists a single cover, everyone else seems to sell them in pairs only. Anyone know of a source that will sell PUI or Legendary singles? (69 GTO - Black)

Thanks,
Bear

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be hard pressed to prove it wasn't my fault -- I was pulling on it pretty good to get it stretched tight and flat. Doggone it... well, I guess I could choose to look at it as a good thing. If I just bite the bullet and order another pair of good covers I won't have to decide later whether or not to re-do the passenger side seat after Brian's zip tie trick works as well as it looks like it's going to.

Now would be a good time for all of you to invest in a hog ring company. I'm burning through them at a pretty good clip here :rofl: :( :willy: :D

Bear

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't think so, Jet --- any "looser" and I'd never have been able to catch the listing wires from the bottom with the hog rings. I was working on the seat bottom, left hand holding onto the back rear bottom corner of the cover and working it down over the side of the seat foam - holding tension on it with my left hand while working it down over the seat edge with my right. The seam split where I was holding it with my left hand and separated along the side towards the front of the seat. I didn't think I was pulling on it THAT hard, but maybe I was....

Bear

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Here is a video that makes it look pretty easy. Obviously the video is sped up. I thought it was cool to watch. It's a PUI video I found on youtube. This guy makes it look easy. If you watch some of the other videos, he has a special pneumatic hog ring gun that looks pretty sweet.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Wow!!! Just looked up how much those hog ring guns sell for ..... some can get up to $500 used and up for new.

If any of you see a pneumatic hog ring gun at an auction or for sale for super cheap ... buy it. Providing the circumstances that it works.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Thats the beauty of using the zip ties, you can tighten them around incrementally to stretch it even, i started in the middles centering it and worked toward the corners. Is the seam sew-able Bear?

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think so -- the vinyl tore along the seam, it didn't just come apart. I just ordered a set of Legendary covers - now I don't have to decide whether or not to re-do the other seat. :eek:

Bear

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well.... strip my gears and call me shiftless.... watching that video I saw one HUGE thing that would have made everything so much easier. It never occurred to me to install the hog rings that hold the seat seams down into the foam crevices from the top.... I was trying to do them all from the bottom and finding it insanely difficult to work "between" the seat bottom and the springs. Duh..... :willy: :eek: :shutme

At least now the prospect of re-doing all that work doesn't seem so intimidating. :)

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Bear, do yourself a huge favor and install the Legendary covers. Take solace in the fact that if it ripped down the seam on install, it would NOT have lasted while in use. I installed Year One covers in my '67 in 1993, and they still look like new. I think that they were manufactured by legendary, as they are identical to original covers, with great texture and depth of the pleats. Stay away from PUI, IMO. The ones I've seen look nothing like the original upholstery. Good luck with the re-do....it'll come out great.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bear's feeling more better now. :D The headliner is DONE - and I'm satisfied with how it looks. That was the last roadblock to being able to finish out the interior, door trim, and all the glass. The only tasks remaining after that are wheels/tires, a few pieces of external trim, bleed the brakes, charge up the A/C, tags and inspection. :cheers

A big thanks to Brian :seeya: for the binder clip tip and also for the encouragement. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Bear

Attachments

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
no problem Bear always happy to help...GREAT JOB!!! i still have to take door panels back off to do felts, waiting until i put it up for the winter. I know how many man hours it takes to put all the final touches on one of these beasts, that car is looking A1 can't wait to see it finished off with you back behind the wheel......sure you'll need a few of these while staring at it every night before you head to bed....:cheers:cheers.....:D

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Great info, thanks guys..
Still confused as to where you use zip ties, on most of the connections. Video looks like a ton of ways to screw up seats. I've done boat seats and they looked like crap, but I didn't sew, just installed flat vinyl and tried to pull it straight.
Anyone want to buy a complete gold interior?? May stick with black, redo the springs and call it good, lol.. Minus headliner, all new, only one seat installed, and removed..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Jet used a zip tie everywhere the was a hog ring on the originals, just cut a small slit behind the binding rod once you get it dry fitted pull them all so they have even tension and work out any wrinkles (mine all ended up fully tightened).

1 - 20 of 43 Posts