Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until a few weeks ago I was contemplating trading my WRX for a Mustang or RX8.

The RX8 sure handles well but lacked in the power department. I was also sceptical about the rotary engine. How long would it last and what is the deal with the MPG!

I really like the look of the new Mustang GT. The interior is pretty good for a Mustang and the performance is great for the price. However, the backseat (which is do need one) was pitiful. IMO they should shorten the car and just call it a two-seater.

Enter GTO and great rebates. To make a long story short: I drove my new Pulse Red M6 home tonight.

I feel really good with this purchase. I get a great performance car, for a very reasonable price and it has a back seat for grown-ups. I liked the car from the very beginning but could not justify the $34K price tag. A few weeks ago I started seeing information about serious discounts on the GTO and I said to myself: "hmmmm." Wife and I test drove one a couple of weeks ago and both fell in love with it. We found the exact color combo we wanted and paid $26,100 +tax.

I strongly disagree with all the people who do not like the styling. I love the way it looks! I am tired of both the boy racer import and the overstated latemodel musclecar. To me, the GTO has a great balance between power, luxury and style. Performance is plenty. I do not need a 11 second car to get my kicks. I believe that the sound and torque of the LS1 is going to reward me with smiles for a long time.

Though the uniqueness of the car might change in the future, to date my car is only the 2nd GTO I have seen on the road.

Happy motoring everyone!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Congrats :party
btw, can you tell me if my impression of the WRX was right, in that you had to work harder (?drive harder?)to really make it run? I considered the WRX but the power curve came on too high in the RPM range to "Get On It" without drawing the attention of the local constabulary. :confused

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Congrats, dude! I considered the RX8 as well, along with the VW R32. I never even considered the GTO...until my wife talked me into test driving one.

I bought it.

I love my Holden even more every day. You will as well! :cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bsmcall said:
Congrats :party
btw, can you tell me if my impression of the WRX was right, in that you had to work harder (?drive harder?)to really make it run? I considered the WRX but the power curve came on too high in the RPM range to "Get On It" without drawing the attention of the local constabulary. :confused
I don't know about "harder", perhaps "different." Under 3500rpm it is only a 2 liter four-banger, hence, it is more important to keep this car in the power band than 5.7 liter engine. Turbo cars can be really fun to drive and VERY cheap ($1500 will get you 100HP) to made go faster. However, in the long run, nothing, IMO, beats a large displacement American muscle engine (did I mention I have a LS1 under the hood :D ). When I think about it, yes, perhaps you could say that "torque on tap" is easier to drive fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts