Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please. I've done this before and don't know why I'm having trouble this time. I am trying to replace the sending unit in my 1965 GTO fuel tank. The tank is out and empty. I have removed the inner lock ring. I've sprayed PB blaster around the sending unit. I've pulled, pushed, hammered (lightly), twisted. It will not come out. What am I missing? I don't remember this being so difficult before. This is the original unit I believe. Did they glue them in at the factory in 65? Help please?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Are you sure you are trying to remove only the very center of the unit where the fuel hose is connected?
As I recall, the only thing under the center portion is the rubber gasket.
I suppose someone could have had the unit out and installed them with a adhesive of some kind.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure you are trying to remove only the very center of the unit where the fuel hose is connected?
As I recall, the only thing under the center portion is the rubber gasket.
I suppose someone could have had the unit out and installed them with a adhesive of some kind.
Thanks for the reply.
I believe so. I will get back out to the barn this afternoon to check again and maybe take a picture too.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was the o-ring petrified? pics would be good. ;-)
It was actually still flexible and I did not find any evidence of glue or other sealant that was holding it in. Just many years of gunk I guess. I expected it would have a brass float so maybe it's not original. I don't know.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts