Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 04 M6 since November and I love it. Yesterday my "Service Engine Oil" indicator came on. How does this indicator work? Does it come on after a specific mileage is reached? If so, how can I reset it? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The owner's manual (for the 05 anyway) has the instructions on how to reset it. Don't have mine with me at the moment.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Computer uses mileage, driving style and probably a couple of other variable to decide that it is time to change oil. To reset, turn car to "on," pump gas 3 times and turn car to "off."

·
Registered
364 Posts
You shouldn't reset it unless you change the oil though. The oil life monitoring algorthym takes many variables into account. You can read more about it here:
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/environment/news_issues/news/simplified_maintenance_040104.html

I like Chevy's version of the oil life monitor because it shows you oil life remaining vice just turning on a light. So I can see when my oil changes are getting close and plan them better. In my wife's Chevy Trailblazer, she has been averaging about 8,500-9,500 miles per oil change using this monitor. :cheers

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have that monitor in my GP and NEVER use it! I change mine religiously every 3000 miles REGARDLESS what the monitor says (it's said 90% remaining before).

·
Registered
305 Posts
putergod said:
I have that monitor in my GP and NEVER use it! I change mine religiously every 3000 miles REGARDLESS what the monitor says (it's said 90% remaining before).
:agree Same thing in the wife's G6. The monitor seems pretty accurate, but I still change it at 3K

·
Registered
290 Posts
Gotta dissagree here. Technology isn't a bad thing and sometimes is good for the enviroment. New oils last much longer than before. Don't take my word on it do the homework. I figure by not doing oil changes every three thousand miles I can do more burnouts and break about even in the enviroment dept.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know exactly how the "new technology" works and is calibrated. I change my oil/filter every 3000 mi. Clean oil and filters are a far better way to ensure good lubrication and long engine life.

·
Registered
146 Posts
putergod said:
:agree Every 3,000 miles in my wifes 04 Tahoe. Better safe than sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts