Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed a particular shake/shimmy at idle from the rear end, fairly noticeable. Is it a normal thing? It almost seems like its the exhaust is causing it to shake, but I cant pinpoint it.

Any help?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wade M said:
I've noticed a particular shake/shimmy at idle from the rear end, fairly noticeable. Is it a normal thing? It almost seems like its the exhaust is causing it to shake, but I cant pinpoint it.

Any help?

I have noticed the same thing, I just thought it was engine torque over do to the large engine in a lightweight short wheelbase car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's mostly what I was thinking, honestly. Cam lope, that sort of thing. Still getting used to the quirks and whatnot, learning what is normal, and what isn't.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I will not call what I have experienced a shake it is a kind of rock when the car is in idle at the light the LS1 & 2 do this. I almost feels like the lope of a cam I honestly like it. It is a rocking idle to me. I dont feel it at the rear end unless something is loose, essentially the car rocks from side to side. That is what I feel.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I almost feels like the lope of a cam I honestly like it. It is a rocking idle to me. I dont feel it at the rear end unless something is loose, essentially the car rocks from side to side. That is what I feel.
Same here...and I like it so much I actually want to make it worse :cheers As I get closer to warranty expiration and save up some cash, I'd like to throw a cam in this thing. I bet you this bad SOB shakes a little at the lights!

Someone in another thread said it is reduced or eliminated if you use a lower ocatane fuel and the timing gets retarded a bit. Someone else will have to verify that. I run only 91-93, and intend to keep it that way, shake and all ;)

Gerry

·
Registered
730 Posts
i've noticed the same thing. it feels like a big truck passing by. i notice it only when the car is slightly warm but i haven't had mine too long.

06 impulse blue/black m12 1 of 277

·
Registered
22 Posts
Same here...and I like it so much I actually want to make it worse :cheers As I get closer to warranty expiration and save up some cash, I'd like to throw a cam in this thing. I bet you this bad SOB shakes a little at the lights!

Someone in another thread said it is reduced or eliminated if you use a lower ocatane fuel and the timing gets retarded a bit. Someone else will have to verify that. I run only 91-93, and intend to keep it that way, shake and all ;)

Gerry
what kind of exhaust does this car have? i just want to know b/c thats exactly how i dont want my car to sound when i do it.

i want a really deep rumble, sorta how my 67 camaro sounds.....well used to sound.

·
Registered
730 Posts
if it were the cam i think it would do it regardless of temperature. it doesn't even jive with what my tach is saying nor the exhaust sound. it's just a little disturbing i can't pinpoint it. what's the duration for the stock cam?

06 impulse blue/black m12 1 of 277

·
Registered
388 Posts
what kind of exhaust does this car have? i just want to know b/c thats exactly how i dont want my car to sound when i do it.

i want a really deep rumble, sorta how my 67 camaro sounds.....well used to sound.
I don't know what exhaust it has. I was thinking of doing a cam & headers first with the stock exhaust...will go from there. I'll also want to try to hook up with other Goat owners to see what theirs sound like.

How about this one?

Gerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.