Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow gtowners. Today was the first time she gave up on me. Lost throttle response all the sudden and now the car doesn't start anymore. Its not a gasoline problem. Maybe something to do with electricity?

Please help.
Martin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does it turn over?
Do the other electronics work? (e.g.;lights come on?)
What type of an intake system do you have?
Need more info to do any troubleshooting.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
If you have a tester see if you have 12 volts on the positive side of the coil with the key on. If you have nothing there start testing voltage from the battery at the starter, and coming from the ignition. Make sure the coil still has the leads tight on their posts.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Make sure the breaker plate ground didn't break. This is the little braided ground strap inside the distributer. It attaches to the breaker plate and the distributer body. As the breaker plate moves back and forth, the braid flexes (hundreds of tousands of times in its' life) and will fail eventually.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
make sure you have 12 volts coming from the battery. Make sure you have 12 volts at the starter. Make sure you have 12 volts at the coil. If any of those are no search for why, loose wire? bad battery? wire not connecting at the ignition etc. You should be able to find the trail of voltage and see where it stops. Run a wire from the battery to the hot side of the coil to see if it will start.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Pull the distributor cap and have someone crank the engine over while you look at the points. Are they opening and closing? If not, suspect a worn rubbing block on the points. Very possibly worn points or bad condenser. First thing I would check is the points.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
you mention no power coming from the coil but is there power going to the coil. If you verify all grounds are good and you verify that your battery is putting out 12 volts I would jump the coil with a wire as described in previous post. The problem may be in your 45 year old wire harness. You should have two wires on the positive side of your coil. One is a resistance wire that feeds less than 12 volts to the coil so your points do not burn. Many times I have seen this wire cause issues when it gets old. Also check your points are they burned or do they look normal?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
if as you stated there is no power to the distributor you MUST have power or your car will not start. Points can be bad for sure but without power new points won't fire

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
You really need to start at the beginning BATTERY does it have a full 12 volts coming out of it. If you do not have a voltage meter to verify then take a battery out of a car that is running and try it in your car first. If you can't verify 12 volts available then everything else downstream is a wild guess and electrical guess's will drive you nuts. Start at the beginning.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
There is no power coming from the coil to the distributor

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Coils do go bad. Run a jumper wire from your battery positive side to the positive terminal at the coil. If it fires up, then you have a power problem going to the coil, and you have to trace it back from there. If it does not fire up, then I would replace the condenser, points, cap, and rotor just to know they are all good. Gap the points. You can use a matchbook cover in a pinch as your feeler gauge.

Timing chains also go all of a sudden. Confirm this by having your dist. cap off, rotor on, and rotate the engine to confirm the chain is turning the camshaft, which in turn will rotate the distrib. rotor.

Spark and gas is all you need and if you know you are getting gas, then its spark.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Did you check the ground strap that I mentioned? Remember, electricity must flow in a loop. No ground = no voltage.

I've seen really good mechanics get stumped by this one.

...and as mentioned, the condensor can be good one minute and bad the next

1 - 20 of 23 Posts