Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to purchase a low mile '04 that has pretty much sat in the same spot for the past 1 -1 1/2 years. It had been started occasionally and stored in an enclosed garage with concrete floor during that time. When I went to inspect it, the battery was pretty much dead and all I got was some ABS and Airbag faults that flashed on the dash. I checked the oil & it looked clean. The car is dirty, but the interior & exterior looked perfect.
I've stored older cars in the past and know fuel can go bad, mice may like find a nest somewhere in the engine bay, flat spots on tires can happen . But what can I expect with this? Suspension issues, belts and hoses, etc...? The car has just run out of warrenty so I'm a bit concerned.
I'll be taking another look at it soon and taking it for a ride. If it runs well, can I assume It'll be OK with no problems cropping up as a result of it's hibernation?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm just about to purchase a low mile '04 that has pretty much sat in the same spot for the past 1 -1 1/2 years. It had been started occasionally and stored in an enclosed garage with concrete floor during that time. When I went to inspect it, the battery was pretty much dead and all I got was some ABS and Airbag faults that flashed on the dash. I checked the oil & it looked clean. The car is dirty, but the interior & exterior looked perfect.
I've stored older cars in the past and know fuel can go bad, mice may like find a nest somewhere in the engine bay, flat spots on tires can happen . But what can I expect with this? Suspension issues, belts and hoses, etc...? The car has just run out of warrenty so I'm a bit concerned.
I'll be taking another look at it soon and taking it for a ride. If it runs well, can I assume It'll be OK with no problems cropping up as a result of it's hibernation?

Thanks,
Tony
Interesting situation Tony.
Sounds like you know all the pitfalls to look for. As you said, the fuel is probably bad, so draining and the fuel would be a given. Change the oil, even if it looks clean. Go with Mobil 1 on this.
Replace the battery and probably the tires. Carefully check for mouse damage inside as well as under the hood.
The GTOs have always has suspension issues, strut rub aside, the rubber (or what ever they are made of) components seem to be prone to premature failure. Nothing that can't be fixed. Check for noise from the strut bushings (creaking sound when turning the wheel). I just had to replace them on my 04with only 32k.
How low are the miles? Are you getting a good price on this car? You may be able to negotiate a great deal based on what needs to be addressed on the car.

What's the color combo on this one?

Hope this helps a bit. Nothing like finding that gem in the barn, ay? :party:

Russ

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Surface rust. The rotors may be encased with thick surface rust. Check them out. They may need attention. The rust could have pitted them. Flat spots on tires should come out once driven for a while (hopefully). Check for cracking on the tires, if they are cracking, replace them. Change the oil... moisture has mixed in with it. Don't mess with the battery, replace it. Drain the fuel, you will have gum up. Hopefully your injectors are not gummed up. Although 18 months is not that terribly long rubber can harden and cause you some problems. Also check the inside tires for strut rub evidence. If you see chaffing on the struts and groves in the tire, you will need an alignment. You have to decide if the price is worth it from any problems you may have from a mummy. Whatever the price look around and see if you can find one in the same ball park figure.

BTW....Welcome to the forum. :cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts