Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my GTO 3 weeks ago. New to the forum. I noticed that a racing version of the GTO weighed in at 2700 lbs. How realistic would it be in terms of cost and hassle to shed say 200 or 300 lbs? Lighter weight hood and wheels might be a good start. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I weighed mine while I was at the track yesterday and with about 3/8ths of a tank of gas it weighed a whopping 3879 lbs. What a porker! I have seen some lightweight parts for it on the web but it needs to lose 6-7 hundred pounds.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Unless you gut it and make it a true race car it will always be heavy. My new hood is only 35lbs so thats where I started. Still a long way to go.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, it's always gonna be a heavy beast... Which really blows.

But there are quite a few aftermarket parts out there that can help chop off a few pounds.

I've seen two different skid plates for the bottom side of the car that around around $150 I believe. Aftermarket headers are also lighter than the cast iron pieces that come from the factory. Same with exhaust.

Some free things include taking out the spare tire in the back, taking off the hood, taking out the seats (yes, even the driver seat!).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts