Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in the getting-acquainted period of GTO ownership, but the more I'm around the car, the more I like it.

Even though I've washed the car twice now, it wasn't until I'd parked at work this morning and was walking away that I noticed a subtle . . . "irregularity," I guess, in the sheetmetal. (And for those wondering how I noticed it while walking away, yes, I did turn to look back!)

The low morning light was hitting the passenger side of my car, and I noticed that the yellow reflection of the eastern horizon warped a wee bit just aft of the GTO badge that sits between the door edge and the front wheel well. So I walked back, squatted at the rear of the car and looked down the side. There's an ever-so-slight vertical deflection in that area--certainly not a dent, but an irregularity of some sort. It seems to line up with the aft edge of the GTO badge.

I looked to see if the driver's side was the same, but of course the light was different on that side of the car. It seemed to me there may have been a similar little warp there, too.

I suspect one of two things: A) The metal may be reinforced in that area on account of being near the door edge; or B) the installation of the badge may have some effect on the surrounding sheetmetal.

I'm talking subtleties here, folks--not damage. I just wondered if anyone had noticed anything similar on their cars.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Nothing on mine. Very impressed with the build quality of this car. A horizontal reflection can run the entire length of the car without any bending or jumping -- even over body seams. That's impressive.

The only gripe I've got is that the vertical seams between the front and rear bumper covers and sheetmetal can be pretty sloppy. It's not entirely an assembly problem -- just a poorly execute design.

Cleaned these seams up on the back bumper (pretty easy to do) but said the heck with the front. Too much time involved. If it was a show car, fine, but as one of my daily drivers, it's good enough.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know, it's been a while since I've had a metal car. I'm actually kind of nervous about it!

There was no risk of dents with the Corvette, of course, but I had to accept less-than-ideal panel fit and the usual peculiarities of fiberglass. The Z28 I had prior to the Vette was an amalgam of metal (rear quarters), hard plastic (doors) and squishy plastic (front quarters). As you might imagine, it had HUGE panel gaps.

All-metal cars generally fit together better, and the GTO doesn't disappoint. I agree with you, be-a-better: that character line runs down the side flawlessly, jumping from panel to panel with nary a hitch. And I agree that the soft front and rear bumpers don't quite meet the metal exactly the way you'd wish for, but at least they're pretty symmetrical side-to-side in the way they do meet.

When I have the GTO in my garage with the garage door up and indirect sunlight coming in, I can look down the side and see very minute, subtle striations in the sheetmetal. That's probably just how the metal was pressed, and it's unnoticeable in any other kind of light. The Vette's plastic body had almost the same thing, but worse.

This little deflection or irregularity near the GTO badge could be anything. As Ames said, these cars do come a long way to get to your doorstep. Lots can happen. I wondered if someone had leaned against my car, but honestly, I swear that what I'm seeing has something to do with the installation of the GTO badge. It seems too coincidental that the mark is where it is. I'd thought that badge was probably stuck on with some kind of adhesive, but now I'm wondering if it's bolted on. Hm. In any case, this isn't something I'd try to have fixed. They'd look at me like I was insane.

Then again, when it comes to my cars, most people look at me that way. . .

·
Registered
135 Posts
GM Kid said:
It seems too coincidental that the mark is where it is. I'd thought that badge was probably stuck on with some kind of adhesive, but now I'm wondering if it's bolted on. Hm. In any case, this isn't something I'd try to have fixed. They'd look at me like I was insane.

Then again, when it comes to my cars, most people look at me that way. . .
I've seen pics of the badge off and unless I'm remembering wrong it was stuck on with adhesive. There is a hole behind it where the Monaro has a marker light.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
GM Kid said:
I wondered if someone had leaned against my car, but honestly, I swear that what I'm seeing has something to do with the installation of the GTO badge. It seems too coincidental that the mark is where it is.
Hope nobody thinks I'm arrogant for quoting myself.

I went out to my car and looked again at this warp or deflection or whatever. I was wrong about where it's located: It's not between the badge and door edge; it's above the "G" on the GTO badge and runs up-and-down in between the badge and the character line above it. It's there, but it's really slight--almost like you'd get if you put a finger on the sheetmetal and gently pushed.

I have no idea what it is. It certainly doesn't look like anything fell against the car. Considering it took me this long to notice it, I'm thinking I may be the only person who'll ever know it's there. I don't see a similar mark on the opposite side, but I think this is just a quirk of manufacturing. I suppose something may have pressed gently against the car in shipping, but there are no marks in the paint whatsoever, so it was something soft.

Sigh. Just one more little imperfection to accept. In the big picture, it's nothing. This is still the best-assembled car I've ever owned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.