Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know who won. They said the Shelby performed not much different than the last Cobra they tested, even though there's more than 100hp difference (500hp, 480ft/lbs). Guess the extra weight took its toll. Anyway, check out the July edition of Car and Driver.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Having a C6, when I got my C&D I went straight to that article. They said the C6 had a green engine with only 700 miles on it and it still easily beat the GT500. The C6 lost in the 0-30 sprint, but after that it won every other test plus got a lot better mileage. The GT500 comes in over 3900 lbs, and that just kills them. Another killer is the weight distribution is something like a front driver. They went to an iron block for the 5.4 for dependability and then the weight of the supercharger and intercooler and all that plumbing adds 350+ lbs over the front wheels. Price as tested was 45,000 estimated, but in the articles they said dealers were getting at least 15k mark-up for advance orders. I spent 42,900 for my C6 with loads more features than the GT500 and superior performance.

What are the people buying those things thinkng spending that much for an inferior, by a long shot, vehicle.

I really wish I would have been able to put the GTO up against one of those at the track. From looking at the GT500's numbers it has a bit more speed in the 1/4 than a GTO, but pretty much the same time as my 12.8- 13.0 runs time wise. Headers, exhaust, and an intake and you would crush a GT500 plus destroy it in bang for the buck.

·
Registered
305 Posts
That's comforting.

I think the other factor here is the driver. I've heard it said and have even seen myself that a good driver versus a poor driver can easily eat up a 50-75 hp difference depending on the cars in question.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I suppose one thing the GT500 has going for it is the likelihood of collector value sometime down the road (probably 5+ years, depending on how long Ford makes 'em). Personally, as I don't have the spare cash to make a purchase with possible collector value being a determining factor, I tend to go toward things like "does it suit my purpose?" and "bang for the buck". In those cases, I'd rather have a standard C6 or a Z06.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hertz Rent-a-Racer

Mustang Performance for Rent: Ford, Shelby, Hertz Team up on Special Shelby GT-H
NEW YORK, Wed., April 12, 2006 - In a throwback to the famed Shelby GT350H "Rent-A-Racer" program from the 1960s, Ford Motor Company, Shelby Automobiles and The Hertz Corporation are partnering to produce a special run of performance-modified Ford Mustang GTs - designated Shelby GT-H, for "Hertz" - that will be available for rent later this spring exclusively through Hertz. Approximately 500 units will be available through the Hertz Fun Collection at select airport locations in Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Hawaii, and Nevada as well as from select airport locations in Massachusetts, Oregon and Washington.

Forty years ago, Carroll Shelby and The Hertz Corporation came up with an ingenious plan to help get a batch of high-performance, special-edition Shelby Mustangs into the hands of rental customers who also happened to be car enthusiasts. Ford supplied the new Mustangs with V-8 engines and mostly automatic transmissions, Shelby added extra performance and style, and Hertz gave the public access to the kind of unique driving experience that one would normally only find on a racetrack. Today, the story of the Shelby/Hertz "Rent-A-Racer" is legendary and surviving Shelby GT350H Mustangs are among the most sought-after collector cars in the world.

To connect the magical past of the original Shelby GT350H with the modern capabilities of the new Ford Mustang, Shelby, Ford and Hertz have again teamed up, and - together with the Ford Racing Performance Group - have given the 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H a very classic, muscular look as well as some true performance credentials.

"Like the original Hertz cars, the Ford Shelby GT-H will be fun to drive," said Carroll Shelby, CEO of Shelby Automobiles, Inc. "We started with a terrific Mustang and modified it with some Ford go-fast parts and gave it a distinct look for Shelby-style driving. Whoever gets the opportunity to rent one of these unique cars will get an experience of a lifetime."

Hertz Fun Collection

Further enhancing its position as a leader at U.S. airports in the leisure car rental market, Hertz launched its Fun Collection in January 2006. Featuring vehicles tailor-made for travelers seeking exciting driving experiences, the Fun Collection adds more entertainment to the driving experience as each car comes equipped with SIRIUS Satellite Radio.

The 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H Mustang will be available at select airport locations that feature the Hertz Fun Collection including Phoenix, Arizona; Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego and San Francisco, California; Denver, Colorado; Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Orlando, Tampa and West Palm Beach, Florida; Maui and Honolulu, Hawaii, and Las Vegas, Nevada. In addition, the car will be available in Boston, Massachusetts; Portland, Oregon, and Seattle, Washington.

With the addition of the Ford Shelby GT-H Mustang into the Fun Collection, Hertz now offers 36 models that can be specifically reserved, ranging from mid-size to luxury cars, convertibles to SUVs and is the only nationwide car rental company able to allow customers to reserve the specific make and model vehicles at the time of reservation. More than 8,000 Fun Collection vehicles are available at 18 major airport locations in the United States.

"With 2006 marking the 40th anniversary of the Shelby GT350H joining the Hertz fleet, we're thrilled to be bringing legendary Mustang driving excitement back to our rental customers," said Walt Seaman, staff vice president, Worldwide Fleet, Maintenance, and Car Sales Operations for The Hertz Corporation. "The Shelby GT-H is a fun, powerful Mustang to drive, and will be a special part of the Hertz Fun Collection. As all cars in the collection are reserved by exact make and model, customers can rest assured that when they reserve a Shelby GT-H Mustang to drive, they will receive the Shelby GT-H Mustang upon arrival."

Extra "Show"

Like its predecessor, the 2006 Ford Shelby GT-H will be instantly recognizable - thanks to several eye-catching styling enhancements that are so much a part of the Shelby Mustang heritage. First and foremost, each Shelby GT-H will wear Black exterior paint set off with Gold racing stripes, a hallmark of Hertz's vehicle history dating all the way back to the 1920s.

While it's true that the Shelby GT350H was eventually made available in other color combinations, the Black-and-Gold combo is often referred to as "Hertz colors" by most Mustang aficionados. Shelby's traditional "Le Mans" dual overbody racing stripes are combined with a set of rocker stripes that include special "Shelby GT-H" nomenclature. Each car will also wear a Hertz Edition emblem on the front fenders, and feature Hertz Shelby GT-H sill plates and a numbered dash badge with Carroll Shelby's signature inside the cockpit.

To give a hint of the Mustang GT 4.6-liter 3V V-8 engine's added capability, the Ford Shelby GT-H is fitted with a custom Shelby Performance hood with pins, and a brushed aluminum grille with running horse emblem. A unique front fascia with integrated lower grille, as well as a set of body side scoops - reminiscent of classic Shelby Mustangs is incorporated for a distinct look. To further catch the enthusiast's eye, the Mustang GT brakes are dressed up with painted calipers, which can be seen through the GT-H's 17-inch aluminum wheels wearing P235/55ZR17 performance rubber.

Added "Go"

Ford Racing Performance Group is supplying its popular Power Pack (FR1) to add a genuine 25-horsepower Ford performance kick to the 300-horse Mustang GT 4.6L V-8/Five-speed automatic transmission powertrain and an increase of 10 lb.-ft. of torque. The package includes Ford Racing's 90mm Cold Air kit, the Muffler Kit, a new X-pipe similar to the one used on the new Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang, a performance calibration and a cat-back performance exhaust for that throaty sound that will make this car unmistakably a Shelby Mustang GT-H.

"Any Mustang that traces its roots to a Shelby GT350H has to boast increased performance and handling over its factory stock configuration," said Cisco Codina, group vice president, Ford North America Marketing, Sales and Service. "Ford Racing's involvement with niche performance Mustang builds like this Hertz project is a natural for us as well as for Hertz and Shelby."

To put that extra horsepower to the ground, the Ford Shelby GT-H also comes with the Ford Racing Handling Pack (FR3) installed, including special-tuned dampers inspired from the FR500C, lowering springs, sway bars and a strut tower brace - plus a Ford Racing 3.55:1 ratio rear axle assembly for extra off-the-line acceleration.

Ford Racing will be working hand-in-hand with engineers and technicians at Shelby Automobile's assembly facility in Las Vegas during the build-out of the GT-H for delivery to Hertz. With total production expected to number only around 500 units exclusively destined for Hertz rental fleets across the country, this special-edition Ford Shelby GT-H is sure to give Hertz customers a truly exclusive driving experience like only Shelby and the Ford Mustang can deliver.

"This GT-H project has been terrific," said Amy Boylan, president, Shelby Automobiles Inc. "My team here at Shelby Automobiles is very excited with what we have put together with Ford, and Hertz - a pony that not only has a special look, but can really run, too. Those who get to rent a GT-H in the coming months will have the opportunity to enjoy a car that looks, accelerates, handles and sounds the way a high-performance Shelby-ized Ford Mustang should. It will prove lots of fun for Hertz customers looking for some real driving excitement."

For more information about Shelby Automobiles, and to a sneak-peak of the build of the first Shelby GT-H, visit www.shelbyautos.com.

The Hertz Fun Collection features convertibles including the Ford Mustang, Mazda Miata, Toyota Solara, PT Cruiser and Chrysler Sebring; coupes/roadsters including Ford Mustang (hard-top), PT Cruiser, Chevy HHR and Nissan 350Z; and SUVs such as the Ford Escape XLT Sport, Jeep Wrangler, Nissan Murano and Hummer H3. For Shelby GT-H or other Hertz Fun Collection reservations, or to see which vehicles are available at participating Hertz locations visit www.hertz.com. The Hertz Fun Collection may also be reserved through travel agents or by calling the Hertz toll-free at 1-800-654-3131.

Additional information about the Ford Shelby GT-H and high-resolution photographs are available at www.media.ford.com.

:party:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good 2 go said:
You know who won. They said the Shelby performed not much different than the last Cobra they tested, even though there's more than 100hp difference (500hp, 480ft/lbs). Guess the extra weight took its toll. Anyway, check out the July edition of Car and Driver.

Dear Good 2 go, ...indeed you are quite correct. I posted a topic thread on that 'july' issue of Road & track's road test, & I was 'surprised' that a 500 horsepower shelby w/480 ft lbs of torque ran similiar to the current crop of 05 & 06' GTO's.

0-60-------4.7 sec.

Quarter mile--13.1 sec.

The test weight of that particular 07' shelby 500 was 4,130 lbs????

Even w/ that supercharger I would have 'thought' its numbers better than what it actually did!

·
Registered
491 Posts
tiger gto said:
Dear Good 2 go, ...indeed you are quite correct. I posted a topic thread on that 'july' issue of Road & track's road test, & I was 'surprised' that a 500 horsepower shelby w/480 ft lbs of torque ran similiar to the current crop of 05 & 06' GTO's.

0-60-------4.7 sec.

Quarter mile--13.1 sec.

The test weight of that particular 07' shelby 500 was 4,130 lbs????

Even w/ that supercharger I would have 'thought' its numbers better than what it actually did!
And the top speed is less than our GTOs, yes? :eek:

Even some of the Mustang guys are harping about what a pig the Shelby is...LOL, I wouldn't be surprised if the Shelby owners find themselves being gunned-down by '03-'04 Cobra owners as often as they see the GM and Mopar guys coming for them.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It does not suprise me at all to see the Shelby's #'s are less than intimidating. Our car still is and will remain the best bang for the buck when it comes to going fast.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I may not like mustangs but that hertz mustang is one nice looking car. This past thursday at the irwindale 1/8 mile track motortrend had one of the cars out there and was testing it and doind a shoot and it really caught everybody's attention. One of the guys driving it actually said that it was a little slower than the basic gt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
And the top speed is less than our GTOs, yes? :eek:

Even some of the Mustang guys are harping about what a pig the Shelby is...LOL, I wouldn't be surprised if the Shelby owners find themselves being gunned-down by '03-'04 Cobra owners as often as they see the GM and Mopar guys coming for them.

I gotta tell you though, ..I really like the exterior looks of the Shelby & the new retro look of the mustang in general. I just can't figure out as to 'why' Ford seems to have ALWAYS had a problem surpassing GM's fabled 'smallblocks'.:D

I remember the old days quite well back in the 60's. Yes, ..Ford had some real good performance machines, ..BUT I remember very well the 327's gobbling up 390's, 351's, & 352's...& chevy's little 283 giving the ford 289 all kinds of hell.

Ford's big blocks, ..although I believed their old 427 was the 'best'...seemed pretty good, & the 429 boss was good. I wasn't all that hepped up with their CJ 428 however.

Chevy's old 409, & then its replacement, the 396 seemed to keep them in check. And then chevy's 427, & even Pontiacs 389 & 421 from what I witnessed on the street in my 'youth' seemed to usually have an edge on them 'stock per stock'...I'm speaking of course.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It does seem that stock for stock the Ford muscle/pony cars have generally lagged behind their GM and Mopar counterparts overall. They've done some decent stuff, but most of the time there has been competition that has outdone them.

I do think with the new Shelby Gt500 that it is partially the driver. It is still a respecatable machine, but it seems to be only slightly faster than the GTO, and not the larger margin I would expect from 100 extra HP and 80 extra TQ. Considering dealer markup, it isn't very good on the bang for the buck scale.

I've also heard that some people who had ordered Shelbys are getting screwed over by the dealerships. Apparently, some people have been on the waiting lists for some time to get a GT500 at MSRP, and they are being bumped off the list in favor of someone who is willing to pay more than MSRP. Though the dealerships can probably get away with that, I think it's pretty sleazy.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Supercharged....

I spent 32K for my 05 GTO.... looking into spending another 6.5K on an intercooled supercharger from Procharger. This sytem adds 50-55% hp to an already screaming LS2 motor. Looking at the figures, 39K for a 600+ hp vehicle.... I wouldn't have any desire to spend 45K for only 500hp....

·
Registered
52 Posts
gsxfanatic said:
I spent 32K for my 05 GTO.... looking into spending another 6.5K on an intercooled supercharger from Procharger. This sytem adds 50-55% hp to an already screaming LS2 motor. Looking at the figures, 39K for a 600+ hp vehicle.... I wouldn't have any desire to spend 45K for only 500hp....

Dear gsxfanatic, ..you are so right. Imagine, ..just add a blower to our GTO's, ..& then see how well that ford 5.4 & its blower does against the LS2's!!:D

Dang, ..there's NOT that much 'performance' difference now without a blower on the GTO.:lol:

That has GOT to really stick in their craws...not to mention that IF they really want to purchase the new Shelby, ..the dealers are gonna get them in a high price bidding war just to own one!:eek:

·
Registered
491 Posts
tiger gto said:
I gotta tell you though, ..I really like the exterior looks of the Shelby & the new retro look of the mustang in general. I just can't figure out as to 'why' Ford seems to have ALWAYS had a problem surpassing GM's fabled 'smallblocks'.:D

I remember the old days quite well back in the 60's. Yes, ..Ford had some real good performance machines, ..BUT I remember very well the 327's gobbling up 390's, 351's, & 352's...& chevy's little 283 giving the ford 289 all kinds of hell.

Ford's big blocks, ..although I believed their old 427 was the 'best'...seemed pretty good, & the 429 boss was good. I wasn't all that hepped up with their CJ 428 however.

Chevy's old 409, & then its replacement, the 396 seemed to keep them in check. And then chevy's 427, & even Pontiacs 389 & 421 from what I witnessed on the street in my 'youth' seemed to usually have an edge on them 'stock per stock'...I'm speaking of course.
:agree I've always thought the retro Mustang pretty much got it right in the looks department, but the Shelby blows for being such a pig...one "as tested" came in at over 4,100 lbs. I think I read where the 5.4 iron block (shortblock?)weighed more than the 4.6 assembly:eek:

Hopefully the Camaro and next GTO will learn from Ford's hefty mistake and slim their cars down before they're introduced...and give us at least 450hp.:eek:

·
Registered
455 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
Hopefully the Camaro and next GTO will learn from Ford's hefty mistake and slim their cars down before they're introduced...and give us at least 450hp.:eek:
/drool

Hey, I don't think I saw it, but was the tested Shelby a convert or a coupe? I'm curious since this thing weighs a decent amount, and converts usually way a bit more than the equivalent coupe.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Clueless said:
/drool

Hey, I don't think I saw it, but was the tested Shelby a convert or a coupe? I'm curious since this thing weighs a decent amount, and converts usually way a bit more than the equivalent coupe.
The one I read about in CarandDriver was a convert

1 - 20 of 37 Posts