Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK…I just drove a Shelby GT 500 ‘Vert. MSRP is about $50k. You know what...not impressed, considering this is a $50K car. My buddy (who does media test drives) showed me the sticker.

I am a previous Mustang owner, and I will tell you that I like my GTO much better than the Shelby, and it’s not just because it’s priced $20K less. From the very moment I opened the door and got in the drivers seat, I noticed I was surrounded in PLASTIC! How disappointing. The GTO interior is far superior, has a better overall ride, and the GTO’s stock exhaust sounds so much better.

The Shelby had a better shifter, and it was a blast to feel the boost from the supercharger. But in my opinion the ’04-06 batch of GTOs is the deal of the decade!!:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
What I'm not understanding is why there are GT 500 Shelbys out there ranging from 40K all the way to 74K.

74K will buy me a Z06. Or 2 GTOs and 2 superchargers. :cheers

Some people are paying the dealers mark up of $20k plus over sticker. I personally have yet to see one sell for sticker, $60k is probably average here. I'd buy a Vette forn that kind of money maybe even a used Viper

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Tell you what, you can buy a strippy Corvette for $3K under sticker -- which is the low $40Ks. That is one hell of a deal. My Dad just picked up one and it's very impressive.

Ford really has gotten lucky with the Mustang. For whatever reason, a lot of people really like the styling -- which blinds them to the fact that car is really a cheap POS.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Tell you what, you can buy a strippy Corvette for $3K under sticker -- which is the low $40Ks. That is one hell of a deal. My Dad just picked up one and it's very impressive.

Ford really has gotten lucky with the Mustang. For whatever reason, a lot of people really like the styling -- which blinds them to the fact that car is really a cheap POS.
I got mine for 42,900. It has the A6 as the only option, but it really has everything I wanted except for HUD.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The Mustang is competing with itself from 40 years ago. If you really want a classic car but also want something new it is perfect. The cheap interior is better that the old steal dashboard of the 60's. The GTO is a modern day sport touring car. It was designed for comfort and speed. The ride is very close to most luxury sport models like the CLK 55.

Plus it is forced induction, the Z06 is 505hp NA.:party:

For under 40k you can get a GTO and get headers, cam and tune done to it and get over 500hp at the crank and still be NA and have a much nicer interior.:party:

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I think some of them may be Shelby GT's
The white one is a regular GT. The black with gold stripes is a Hertz Mustang. I saw a road test for the Hertz. It was suprisingly quick, 13.7 in the 1/4 and they only come with automatics. The Auto Mustangs usually run 14.2-14.4. They did an intake change and an exhaust change plus flashed the computer. It's rated at 325 hp.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I will say that the hertz mustang is a nice looking car. I was at irwindale speedway when they were doing the photo shoot. If I remember right in one of the pictures there is a blurred out red car in the the next lane, that should be a red 04 gto.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't know much about either car,only what i read about the new gtos in here,but anyways another employee were i work special ordered one of the Shelby's for just under 90 grand Canadian:lol:. When i bought my 69 gto,he could have bought three of my cars,In closing 3 gtos one mustang,:D .The choice seems obvious to me.:D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yes some people are paying way over sticker,,they are idiots..
Right now on www.autotrader.com there are 5 new and 2 used GT500s in the 44-46k range. Just like when the GTO first came out some people are being taken advantage of for not doing research or being too lazy to go outside their area to buy one...
MM&FF drove a bone stock one on stock tires to 12.22 ,on drag tires it would have run 11s.
here is the first GT500 in the tens..
http://www.evoperform.com/
Car has been out less than a couple months..
They will be in the 9s by years end.

I personally dont like and would never own a GT500 or Mustang (or Camarobird or Vette for that matter) but you have to respect it..

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Yes some people are paying way over sticker,,they are idiots..
Right now on www.autotrader.com there are 5 new and 2 used GT500s in the 44-46k range. Just like when the GTO first came out some people are being taken advantage of for not doing research or being too lazy to go outside their area to buy one...
MM&FF drove a bone stock one on stock tires to 12.22 ,on drag tires it would have run 11s.
here is the first GT500 in the tens..
http://www.evoperform.com/
Car has been out less than a couple months..
They will be in the 9s by years end.

I personally dont like and would never own a GT500 or Mustang (or Camarobird or Vette for that matter) but you have to respect it..
MM&FF is the only mag to be able to get anything close to a low 12 out of the fat pig they call Shelby. Every other road test is in the high 12's to low 13's with them. I spanked one with the C6 pretty bad the other day. If it was a low 12 car mine's a mid 11's ...... Not.

The thing is just too heavy and they don't seem to be living up to the hype. I know from reading about them and talking to the guy that raced me, they don't handle the greatest either. The 03-04 Cobra handled way better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.