Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Shift Knob - Anyone change it, how to remove it?

13K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  gn&gto 
#1 ·
Has anyone changed their shift knob? If so, with what?

I am thinking of changing mine with a ball like on my Z28. I think it will shorten the throws a bit.

Has anyone removed theirs? How is it held on? Does it screw on, or are there set screws?

TIA

#5 · (Edited)
Tom,
The knob is not screwed on. It snaps on. I have not taken mine off but have read posts of others doing so. From the info I have read you need the same type of tool that you disconnect fuel or a/c lines with. You know, the quick disconnect lines. I think I remember a guy saying he bought a kit at auto zone or pep boys for QD lines, 1/2" size. Hope this helps. I have not touched mine so I do not speak from direct experience here, and I dont have a shop manual yet. Craig

#6 ·
Shift knobs

I have also wondered how hard it would be to swap out the shifter knob. I personally would like to put a "T-handle" on mine. I think that they provide a more solid feel, as you wrap your hand around them. I think they are also better for "Power Shifting." Just my opinion.
But if the handle uses some kind of special connector, forget it, I guess I'll just have to wait and put a shifter kit in my car so I can use one, RATS! ;)

Maximental

#7 ·
New shift knob

I finally have my new shift knob installed the way I want it. It is a B&M "Hammerhead" T-handle. I love it. If you look @ my gallery, you can see how it will look until my shift kit comes in the mail. :D Of course I will post more pics. then. :cheers

Happy Motoring,
Maximental

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.