Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find a fix to the white hurst ball shifter rattle with the Muncie tranny and hurst comp shifter. Tried teflon tape and tried tightening more against the nut No Luck. I f I remove ball and shift it does seem better?

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Anyone find a fix to the white hurst ball shifter rattle with the Muncie tranny and hurst comp shifter. Tried teflon tape and tried tightening more against the nut No Luck. I f I remove ball and shift it does seem better?
I was just about to post a similar question...On my 65', the shift lever (4 speed manual) will really rattle a lot. The noise is annoying, but slightly resting my palm on the hurst ball is enough to stop the rattling. It seems that vibration is coming from the transmission, into the shifter base, and then up the gear shift lever. I am wondering how these came from the factory as I doubt they shook so much....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a thought try calling Crash Enterprises he makes special bushing for hurst linkage he might have a answer.Hope he can help Eric Davidson is his name.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'll assume we are talking about OE Knobs that don't have the metal insert ? These are notorious for stripping/splitting over time.
The fix for loose conditions was either replace them or affix them with some of adhesive or thread-lock. The last option is to drill and add an insert.

If your knob is the aftermarket with insert, Is the insert loose? This may require removing insert and re-gluing. I'm just not sure if this is possible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
GTOJunior - I will check, but if I remember correctly there was a metal insert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts