Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Custom "S"....automatic floor shift. The trans 700r4 recently failed and I want to go to a manual. Tremec 5-speed. Question is are there kits to change/replace brake pedal and install a clutch pedal? Also what is the difficulty of this as it seems pretty much just a swap to me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Come to think of it, IIRC you just need the pedals and the pivot pin, and clips.The underdash piece ( carrier) is the same.

Of course you will also need the clutch pedal rod and the underhood components.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I have a 1969 Custom "S"....automatic floor shift. The trans 700r4 recently failed and I want to go to a manual. Tremec 5-speed. Question is are there kits to change/replace brake pedal and install a clutch pedal? Also what is the difficulty of this as it seems pretty much just a swap to me.
Get a catalog from OPGI. They will have everything you need. You may not purchase from them as sometimes you can get better prices from other Pontiac parts sellers, but the catalog is a great reference piece and can give you an idea of the costs to do the swap. I purchase many of my parts from OPGI - my choice.

To install the pedals, you will need to get the brake & clutch pedal along with the long bolt, steel bushings, and plastic bushings - which can be purchased as a set. I enclosed a couple pics of my pedals with the clutch rod, and looking from the top, the long bolt that goes through the pedals. You will need all the clutch linkage components such as the Z-bar, frame bracket, return spring, and adjustment rod going to the clutch fork. There is a plate that goes on the floor that clamps to the lower steering column and the clutch rod passes through. You will need the seals and clutch rod boot. Enclosed a pic of the plate as attached to the lower steering column. The hole is where the clutch rod passes through and the rubber boot goes on to seal it from weather.

You will also need a bellhousing, correct Pontiac clutch fork (not Chevy), rubber boot for the clutch form, inspection cover, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disc, throw-out bearing, pressure plate bolts, correct flywheel bolts, transmission to bell bolts.

You will need an installation kit to install the TKO unless you are handy at fabricating. You will have to cut your floor to fit the TKO and re-cover. You will need a shifter boot, console if you choose to. You will have to cut or purchase a new driveshaft. Here is one of the kits: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/awr-cofo-s1a?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo-eav4Gg5gIVmY7ICh2Imw8CEAQYASABEgLSJfD_BwE

You will want to square up the bellhousing to the flywheel using a dial indicator to ensure that the TKO is perfectly aligned/squared with the flywheel. The TKO uses taper bearings and any misalignment or slight angle can cause hard shifting or premature wear & damage.

You will also want to check driveshaft angles to make sure they are within spec or you may experience some driveline vibrations.

You will most likely have to swap out your gearing in the rear axle. To use the OD, you want to use one of the online RPM/MPH calculators to make sure that the gears you now have in the housing are not too "stiff" to take advantage of the drop from the OD. You don't want to be putting the trans in 5th gear at 80 MPH and anything less will be too low of an engine RPM to use the OD gear. You may need 3.73 or 3.90 gearing depending on the OD ratio. I went with the TKO 600 and Ford 9 inch rear and installed a 3.89 gear to use the .64 OD 5th gear at highway speeds.

I may be missing a few other things, but that should be the bulk of it. Costs may run upwards of 5K to 6K if you can do all this yourself, and not have to do a rear gear $wap.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Here is a different view of the pedal bracket looking down from the top. The nut on the end of the end of the pedal's long bolt is a locking nut, so it may take a little effort to remove it - it isn't stuck or cross threaded.
02  Clutch Pedals.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts