Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I'm new here. Love the basic vehicle. However . . .
I've driven 2 GTOs so far (both 6spd '04s), both had a shifter rattle in the 2500-3500rpm range. What gives? How many of you have experienced this? Does GM have a reliable fix? Can't believe it's a runaway problem on a car that's been built for years. How about '05s? Anybody with an '05 6spd with a similar issue so far? Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My '04 has it and in fact I just searched "shifter rattle" in this forum anout 2hrs ago. 2500-3000rpm, buzzing rattle from what seems to be the shifter linkage. It's intermittant but annoying. Actually you can't hear it if you hold on to the shifter hard. Anyway, I had the car at the dealer yesterday for them to look into it, and the answer was "no TSB, don't know what to do for you". In another thread, someone said that someone else got his fixed with a new shifter. I'm going to see if it goes away before going back to them.

I have to take it back in sometome because of my other problem - the well-known jammed door lock issue. They epoxy'd the lock rod to the clamp that moves it up and down yesterday, it jammed again this morning, and they epoxy'd it with a stronger glue this afternoon. They've ordered a part that is supposed to fix it, but it's coming from Australia (!), so they'll let me know when it gets here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is a TSB coming. I think it has to do with the knob more than anything. Mine does it but I'll probably change the shifter to an aftermarket anyway, so I'm not too worried about it yet.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so we have a little trend here, but is it safe to assume that most 6spds have absolutely zero "buzz" or "rattle" complaints? Anyone care to comment on theirs? Any '05s buzzing yet?

·
Registered
40 Posts
picking my 2004 m6 up from dealer today. I have 6000 miles on it so far. I had them take a look at the rattle on the shifter. The service guy just called me back to say the rattle is normal. I don't buy it but this is the second dealership i have been to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yep, rattle here too. I first thought it was the motor, actually kind of relieved when I discovered it was just the shifter.

·
Banned
119 Posts
just brought mine home tonight and its only got the miles i put on it about 75 and it rattles but i hold the shifter when i drive so the rattle doesnt bug me too much just when im not holding it and hit the gas iis when i hear it

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happened to notice on the "other forum" one post mentioned his shifter knob having been replaced with GM part number 92146323, and beeing rattle free for over a month since. Supposedly a TSB should be coming. Whomever is first, once you get the new part installed please post the result. Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Got mine back today. I have over 7k miles and the rattle didn't get really bad until about 6500 miles. At first it was only when the car was cold, but eventually it was all the time, or at least in the 3-4k rpm range, hot or cold.
The solution, at least for mine was the shift lever (Part # 92146323) and the boot assembly (Part # 92147889). So far so good. :cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
After playing with a couple of shifter installs, I think its just the shifter handle where it bolts to the actuator. I installed a modified SLP shifter and adapter to my original stick. No more rattles.

I then installed a Ripshift with the stock knob...no rattles. Which makes sense because there is silicone sealer in the knob.

The handle bolts on with two 10mm bolts. My original stick just pulled right off with ease once the two bolts were taken out. When I was putting on the adapter for the SLP, it was very tight. This is where I think the problem lies. Maybe add some "gasket" material, felt, rubber, gasket, etc. That should probably take care of any rattle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealer Fix

My friend Bang Thai came up with the following fix:

My ‘04 GTO had Shifter Rattling at about 2500 RPM when it had about 2500 miles. First dealer said, come back when it gets worse. Second dealer (the selling dealer) gave me hassles. The third dealer fixed it with a very high level of professionalism. Pontiac has a fix, new shifter lever and knob. So, it is just a matter that you have to find the dealer that has the 'right' service personnel. There are very few of them out there. If you are in the area of Rochester, NY you should try Mike Hueston (585) 671-7900 at Piehler Pontiac.

:cheers

·
Registered
101 Posts
My rattle is getting steadily worse. I need to take it back in to the dealer for them to fix it, but it's such a PITA to take it in, arrange transportation, etc. So irritating.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rob said:
I then installed a Ripshift with the stock knob...no rattles. Which makes sense because there is silicone sealer in the knob.
Rob... How was the install of the Ripshift..? Difficult? How much time involved?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Toebee said:
Rob... How was the install of the Ripshift..? Difficult? How much time involved?

Thanks in advance.
I did mine in about 2 hours or so, that was taking my time, also I sell these for 199.00 + shipping! :cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Toebee said:

Thanks in advance.
Not too bad. Since I've done a couple, I can do it in less than a couple of hours now. First time took 4 hours. The hardest part is taking out the two front bolts. Those suckers are in tight. The back two are easy since they are out in the open. I cut down a 6mm allen wrench and was able to do it from up top. Others have dropped the tranny mount to gain some room under the car.

After that, its just like installing a shifter in an F-Body.

If you go with a B&M, its a lot easier as you don't have to take off the adapter plate since the B&M bolts right to that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar problem. My dealer (Arrow Pontiac in Inver Grove Heights, MN) replaced the shifter under a "TSB." New shifter, new boot, much crisper shifts with no rattle whatsoever. It's actually like a new car. Had this done around 2 months ago.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts