Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it takes no effort. At least that's what my 5'2" wife said after taking the car for three plus hours to run errands in.

She said it is easier to drive than the Z28. Guess it got the good housekeeping seal.
:party

·
Registered
185 Posts
zone 5 said:
Wait till you do a hard 2-3 shift, and end up in 5th:eek:
been there done that....

does anyone else have trouble shifting into reverse sometimes...especially while on a incline with the rear below the nose? i find that sometimes i need to roll the car forward a few inches to get the gears to line up

·
Registered
43 Posts
Reverse is a PITA. Even when its in the garage. It seems like its fighing me.

At least it only took 2 days for the burnt clutch smell to go away after my 2-5 shift.......

·
Registered
70 Posts
I thought shifting was a little stiff when I first got the car and reverse still is a little hard to get into first thing in the morning, but after about 2K miles, things are breaking in nicely, shifting is smoother, but reverse still takes some effort. Maybe this is a good thing to prevent accidental use of reverse. I have developed the habit of finding third, then right up to reverse with no other hang ups.

·
Registered
185 Posts
DrFix2Fly said:
I thought shifting was a little stiff when I first got the car and reverse still is a little hard to get into first thing in the morning, but after about 2K miles, things are breaking in nicely, shifting is smoother, but reverse still takes some effort. Maybe this is a good thing to prevent accidental use of reverse. I have developed the habit of finding third, then right up to reverse with no other hang ups.
why would there be an accidental use of reverse, while the car is in forward motion the transmission doesn't allow you to push the stick over far enough to ever try to get it into reverse, just far enough to hit 5th and 6th

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've found that an easy way if reverse is stiff, like in the morning, is just move the shifter from like 1st to R...going to reverse is too stiff sometimes, and I don't want to force it.

As most american cars go, reverse is locked while in a forward motion...but a friend of mine has a Hyundai Tiburon, and when someone stole his shifter, the lock was stolen with it...the transmission never prevented an accidental shift from forward to reverse.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Double clutch into reverse

Have you guys ever heard of double clutching? Its where you push the clutch in twice, dont pop it all the way out, just come back up some after the first engage on the clutch and then back down to the floor again when your going to reverse.. I bet it will fix your problems in reverse..It works better on my Z06 to double clutch it into reverse. I think reverse wasnt meant to be used awhole lot so with that said it will always be tight to get into.

good luck.. im still trying to decide on an automatic GTO or another standard tranny.

see ya Tony

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 00' vette did the same thing...put in another gear, then reverse; no problems. (as stated above)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've also noticed that the range of clutch engagement is over a wider range than my Camaro and it starts engaging almost immediately off the floor. If you don't get the clutch fully depressed, that can make it harder to get it into gear.

·
Registered
267 Posts
zone 5 said:
Reverse is a PITA. Even when its in the garage. It seems like its fighing me.

At least it only took 2 days for the burnt clutch smell to go away after my 2-5 shift.......
i did the same thing!! lucky it wasnt a 6500 rpm shift, i am looking at a new short shifter. central nj??? i am in clinton. [have you done anything to your gto yet??]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Xman said:
I've also noticed that the range of clutch engagement is over a wider range than my Camaro and it starts engaging almost immediately off the floor. If you don't get the clutch fully depressed, that can make it harder to get it into gear.
i think i already have a clutch shaped indention in my floor board

·
Registered
43 Posts
flht3 said:
i did the same thing!! lucky it wasnt a 6500 rpm shift, i am looking at a new short shifter. central nj??? i am in clinton. [have you done anything to your gto yet??]
We are a long way from you. Flemington:D

Nope, dead stock. Its a 3 year lease, so I'm not gonna screw with the warranty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts