Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not kidding, I used to baby it and shift at 2,000 to 2,500 rpm.
It's that damn fuel mileage meter I can't stop looking at, especially as high as gas is not.

FInally I said forget it, reminding myself why I got the car. Now I turn off the fuel mileage meter and put it on the spedometer setting.

I don't accelerate hard, but I shift much later (3,000 to 4,000) and my average gas mileage has increased from 17 mpg to 19 mpg over my last 3 tanks!!!!!!!!!

OK you geniouses, how can this be :confused

BTW, my driving routes were identical for all of the tanks of gas. My route consists of about 50% city, 50% highway.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Vader953 said:
I'm not kidding, I used to baby it and shift at 2,000 to 2,500 rpm.
It's that damn fuel mileage meter I can't stop looking at, especially as high as gas is not.

FInally I said forget it, reminding myself why I got the car. Now I turn off the fuel mileage meter and put it on the spedometer setting.

I don't accelerate hard, but I shift much later (3,000 to 4,000) and my average gas mileage has increased from 17 mpg to 19 mpg over my last 3 tanks!!!!!!!!!

OK you geniouses, how can this be :confused

BTW, my driving routes were identical for all of the tanks of gas. My route consists of about 50% city, 50% highway.

All engines have a range where they are at their peak operating efficiency, and evidently it is higher than where you and I thought it was. (Whoever says ALL cars get their best gas mileage at 55 MPH doesn't understand how an engine or gears work).

I averaged 20.8 MPG in a 75-mile fun drive that included some back roads, going over one large hill (less than 1500 feet altitude), some stop-and-go and some Interstate driving.

Back and forth to work (and not winding out the gears at all) my best was about 16.5, I'd say the goat wants to breathe a bit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
An engine is most efficient slightly before the torque peak at WOT. BMW found that moderately hard acceleration was optimal for gas milage.

The best cruising speed is the point in the highest gear where aerodynamic and drivetrain losses are balanced by engine efficiency.

·
Registered
195 Posts
GTODAVE05 - I could swear that the manual GTO's were something like 29mph on highway for 2004 and 26mph on highway for 2005's. The 2004 automatics were 21mph highway, so I'd imagine the 2005 were the same or maybe a hair less. You're 23.5mph would make since then.

It's fun watching the inst fuel numbers on the highway, mine go up in the 40's mph on decel!!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.