Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey girls and goats :)

uhm yea I just bought my M6 GTO, and im curious as to what im doing wrong getting the car moving (first standard vehicle)

Sometimes if im slow on the clutch the car moves with no hiccups

But most other times theres a mild to harsh bucking as the car trys to grab the gear. whats usually a cause of this ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
As you are getting the feel for it, its best to let the clutch out slowly while giving it gas. Its a matter of practice make perfect. The manuals I've owned have had very different engagement points and it just takes a bit to find it for your car. It won't be long before you can launch like a pro and smoke all those lesser cars.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome and congrats!:cheers I have the manual six also. Your shifting will get better with practice, dont even worry about it. Also dont be afraid to wind those rpm's up when shifting, I've found that it shifts more smooth and clean that way. I go to two thousand in first (above that the "skip second and third light" will come on, it only comes on in first) for a smooth shift to second, now you can shift at any rpm range from second on up, I'll take second up to between 2500 and 3500, same for third and fourth. Fifth and sixth are easier I think you will find. Now get out there and have some fun learning it!:D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well said Fullarmor. I bought a 98 Vette, my first stick. For a couple months I said why did I get a stick. Now I have a 04 GTO 6-speed. You won't even think about shifting after awhile. Just drive it. Sticks are more fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Something like this is really hard for me to describe in person let alone in text online... once you learn where the clutch starts to grab as you let it out it makes it alot easier to start out from a dead stop... basically as you feel the clutch grab and the car start to crawl forward you can give it a little gas and let the rest of the clutch out much faster. Shifting up through all the gears without "shaking" the car is easier, you don't need to be near as delicate with letting the clutch out but just make sure you give plenty of gas. The jolt you feel when shifting up through the gears is the engine reving up when you let the clutch out (meaning, if you take 1st to 5000 rpms, by the time you get into second and have the clutch out the rpm's have probably already dropped below where they need to be in second gear... to eliminate the jolt you just need to give enough gas as the clutch comes out to bring the rpm's up where they need to be).

Just find a long empty road and keep starting from a dead stop up to about 30-40 mph and into 2nd even 3rd gear. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
fullarmor2 said:
I usually let the clutch out and then I punch it, my understanding is that it can be bad to get on the gas when the clutch is only released part way.
See what I mean about this bein hard for me to explain... hes right, you should not be gunning it with the clutch still in partially but at the same time you obviously need to give it a little gas (which you will quickly learn what exactly you need) as the clutch comes out. When your up-shifting and getting the rpms up before letting the clutch out all the way, as I understand it that shouldn't cause any extra wear... your just rev matching. Once the clutch is out, pedal to the floor :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
As your shifting starts to smooth out, and gets to where you can do it instinctivly you will really start to enjoy it. And you will appreciate the control you have regarding your rpm level in any gear. Thats the way its been for me anyway. :cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
One of the biggest benefits that I see is that automatics don't have a brain and work on coded parameters... but with a manual you decide when to shift and which gear to be in at all times. When you know your going to pass someone but you're waiting for the clear shot you can downshift when its almost clear and be ready to gun it and get around instead of waiting for the auto to wake up and downshift.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yo guys, thanks for the comments

Ya the girl and I put about 40 miles on her tonight, and using these tips from you and a few coworkers, I only stalled once, and that was on the hill up to my apartment (30 degrees or so, pretty steep!), and i was able to hill start after that with a minimum of bucking.

Aside from that I had NO bucking, and by the end of the trip I was shifting 1st to 3rd, 1st to 4th, 2nd to 4th, and downshifted a few times when needed. Boy does the car lug in 4th if you do under 25 or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.