Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is just me, because all the Trans Am's, and Vette's I had had only 4 speeds, or is shifting this car an art form? I was doing a nice acceleration run yesterday, and went from 1-2-5. How I missed 3, and hit 5 is beyond me. and the clutch did NOT like it at all. My garage still smells. Plus, I've seen that doing a downshift from 5 to 4, I end up in 2nd. Not good.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Weird. To me, this is one of the best, most user-friendly trannies on the market-- and I'm used to BMWs, makers of awesome transmissions...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Groucho,

I'd like to know the secret. Maybe it was just that the Rock Cruisers/T-10's that I was used to with Hurst shifters were so different?:confused

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've found this tranny to be very easy to shift. Basically, when going from 1st to 2nd, always keep the shifter pulled to the left and go down. From 2nd to 3rd, if you push up and allow the shifter to move to the center of the gate, you will always have a clean shift. From 3rd to 4th is straight down, and then 4th to 5th you want to push over to the right and go up. A lot of it comes down to how you position the shifter in your hand. I prefer to let the shifter rest on the inside of my hand for 1st to 2nd, on the palm of my hand for 2nd to 3rd and then to 4th, and then I use my thumb and butt of my hand to go to 5th.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've noticed it too. I've owned many manual transmission cars and noticed right away that with this one, I had to pay closer attention when shifting. Especially downshifting. My husband very rarely drives my car, but he drove coming back from Atlanta yesterday and he had the same problem. When in 5th, if you don't pay attention and keep the stick pushed to the right, you'll shift from 5th back down into 4th. He did it several times...and he was truck driver for 10 years. I've gotten used to it now and don't have to think about it, but I agree with the statement that it's not quite as easy as some others.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Lisa. I was beginning to think it was only me. I've talked to a friend with a ZO-6, and a regular Vette. He says that the ZO-6 is a lot better and tighter shifter than on the standard Vette, which has the same one we have in our GTO's

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
zone 5 said:
Thanks Lisa. I was beginning to think it was only me. I've talked to a friend with a ZO-6, and a regular Vette. He says that the ZO-6 is a lot better and tighter shifter than on the standard Vette, which has the same one we have in our GTO's

Errr...I thought the Tremec in our Goats are the same as in the Z06...

Whatever. Just takes getting used to, I guess....but I found the 6-speed in the Vibe GT I test drove with my wife and the VW R32 I almost bought more "wonky" and difficcult to shift than the GTOs...

·
Registered
160 Posts
wonky? :D (i know what you mean, i just couldn't let it pass groucho. LOL)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Groucho said:
Errr...I thought the Tremec in our Goats are the same as in the Z06...
Could be. I thought it was the other way around. My friend that ownes the ZO-6 knows nothing mechanical, he was just telling me the difference between the 2 Vette's, and I "assumed" the ZO-6 had a different trans or shifter than the GTO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Groucho,

You are 100% correct. The ZO-6 and the GTO have the same transmission. The stock Vette is different. SO I don't know what my friend was talking about when he said that teh ZO-6 shifted better, unless there is a different shifter, or as I sometimes think, he is brain dead:)

Chevrolet Corvette (MM6)
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (M12)
Pontiac GTO (M12) (revised 6/24/03)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
zone 5 said:
Groucho,

You are 100% correct. The ZO-6 and the GTO have the same transmission. The stock Vette is different. SO I don't know what my friend was talking about when he said that teh ZO-6 shifted better, unless there is a different shifter, or as I sometimes think, he is brain dead:)

Chevrolet Corvette (MM6)
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (M12)
Pontiac GTO (M12) (revised 6/24/03)
Every once in a while, even I get lucky. :D

Thanks for confirming that, Zone5....

·
Registered
212 Posts
Silver04 said:
Is anyone having a problem getting into 1st and reverse at different times?
I notice whenever the car is cold, it doesn't want to go into ANY gear... One day I was only able to get first gear, when I tried shifting into second, it wouldn't go. It felt like it was in gear, but sure enough... nothing happened when I let out the clutch.

The transmission is the same in the Corvette, Z06, and GTO. It is the gearing that is different. Our stock Vette has a longer second gear, whereas the GTO and Z06 have a quick second gear. I believe the Z06/Goat have 3.46:1 gears, and the stock Corvette is different. (Too lazy to look it up right now.)

All I know is that I absolutely hate the shifter feel on the GTO, it doesn't feel natural at all.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
85 Posts
Almost every car I've ever had has been a manual and I've had the privledge of driving a few vettes (89,94,02-Z06) all with manuals. I haven't really had any problems with shifting the GTO except for the CAGS which I bypassed this past weekend. It did take me a few days to get used to just because I've never owned a 6spd. The first couple times on the highway going from 4th to 5th in a hurry I hit REV. which scares ya for a quick second when you hear a slight grind. So, I think Reverse should be moved to the left side of the shift gate but other than that no complaints. Haven't missed a shift since the first week of owning the car.

·
Registered
590 Posts
anyone who says they've never blown 2nd to 3rd in ANY performance car is a LIAR :D

even had the Hurst in my SS Camaro and every once in a while that demon of the blown shift would rear her ugly head :shutme

·
Registered
85 Posts
When I compare the shifting in the GTO to my 92 Talon Tsi, the GTO is 100 times better. I missed 1st to 2nd in that damn thing so many times when I was in a hurry. I haven't had that problem with the goat at all :)
I can't remember missing 2nd to 3rd ever, its easy push up and the shifter just kind of falls into 3rd, atleast in my opinion

·
Registered
87 Posts
I used to have a Z06 and I think the gearing for it and the GTO are the same as the RPM's at 80MPH are identical. The '99 C5 that I used to own had higher gearing as the RPM's at 80MPH were 400 less than the GTO or the Z06.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My major promblem is when the car forces you to shift from 1 to 4. I live in a town were traffic is bumper to bumper.I try to keep the rpms up, but still it forces me to grind into forth, because I am trying to get into second.I do know the shiffting gets easier with use.I had promblems geting into reverse
for about the first 200 miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Joey Waid said:
My major promblem is when the car forces you to shift from 1 to 4. I live in a town were traffic is bumper to bumper.I try to keep the rpms up, but still it forces me to grind into forth, because I am trying to get into second.I do know the shiffting gets easier with use.I had promblems geting into reverse
for about the first 200 miles.
You need one of these.

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=VT6001&Product_Count=2&Category_Code=GTOTHER

1 - 20 of 26 Posts