Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. Just bought my 67 GTO and trying to ship from PA to NC. Cannot believe the number of come ons and just outright ripoff artists there are out there. Are there any reputable, inexpensive shippers you would recommend?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
If it doesn't drive you can rent a trailer for less than a hundred bucks. If you decide to use a shipper, get some comfort that they are reliable. Damage happens and parts get stolen and nobody knows anything about it. Or, offer to pay the seller to bring it to you.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Help. Just bought my 67 GTO and trying to ship from PA to NC. Cannot believe the number of come ons and just outright ripoff artists there are out there. Are there any reputable, inexpensive shippers you would recommend?
Thanks
OP, you get what you pay for. Save a buck now and you'll pay later. Verify whomever you get to ship your car is licenced and insured and even ask for references. I would look around at places that have actual customer reviews like this-

http://www.transportreviews.com/company/car-shipping-carriers.asp

·
Registered
54 Posts
I learned about shippers this past summer. I had bought a SVO Mustang from a person on Long Island. I did not want to have to drive through NYC with a trailer so I called the same company that the PO had used when he bought the car. I also Googled auto transport and there were a ton of listings offering quotes. I sent for three or four to compare.

As it turned out all the companies including the one the PO had used were not the actual shippers, they were brokers. The brokers post the trip they are looking for on a couple of web sites and the actual truckers/trucking companies bid on the job. Just like on that show "shipping wars" I suppose. So the low bidder to the broker gets the job if you agree. Then you send a "deposit" by CC and the balance is due the trucker on delivery. The deposit is the fee the broker gets and the balance is what the trucker gets.

The whole thing is kind of scary when you think about not really knowing just who is transporting your car.

In my case the actual trucker was from nearby where I live and was very good to deal with, he had a F350 with a gooseneck trailer that held three cars. he called me twice the day of delivery and even once to tell me he would be 20 minutes later than planned.

He gave me his number and told me to call direct next time and cut out the broker, which is exactly what I did the other day because I just bought a 69 GTO and guess where it is-Long Island.

BTW this time I did call Reliable and InterCity for a quote since I have been told by two different people that the GTO rates enclosed transport. So I am still deciding how to go with the shipment. It looks like it's about double for enclosed transport vs. open.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've shipped six cars over the past 4 years from around the country and have used open transport with no problems. By the same token, if I was shipping a $100k Judge it would be in enclosed. I only use owner-drivers or family owned companies with their own trucks. I'm moving a 70 GTO next week from NC to CA and using Door To Door Auto Transport | Auto Shipping and Auto Transport Quotes for the first time. This family owned company was recommended to me by a Pontiac collector. Brokers are rife in the industry and ruthless.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts