Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market to buy a GTO and after a conversation with a buddy today I need some advice. The price difference from an 04 to an 05 is $6,000 to $7,000. Is getting the 6.0 Liter worth $134 a month? I know there are some minor differences with the hood, spoiler, etc.

Thanks for you thoughts!
Tony

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am in the market to buy a GTO and after a conversation with a buddy today I need some advice. The price difference from an 04 to an 05 is $6,000 to $7,000. Is getting the 6.0 Liter worth $134 a month? I know there are some minor differences with the hood, spoiler, etc.

Thanks for you thoughts!
Tony
if you are getting a car that had around the same miles and 6 to 7000 difference. I'd say go with the 04 and mod it. then you all so have to look at how was the owner before you. I know I beat the sh** out of mine. had it in the shop today to remove a door ding and I all so herd a bang when I got rubber into 2nd, think the one wheel had bottomed out, the dealer asked me if I was getting on it. I said sh** ya was drivein it like I stole it thats the way I drive. it's my toy and I'll play with it the way I want. I have a truck to be more conservative in.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is getting the 6.0 Liter worth $134 a month?
Tony
I don't know if it's worth $134 a month because I can't know how much of a sacrifice that constitutes for you, but I can tell you that the LS2 is an awesome motor and an incredible performance bargain.

Everyone who recommends that you accept the '04 is going to tell you to take the money you save and put it into mods. I'm not into mods. Haven't changed one single thing on my '05 since I got it (except the oil and a couple tires) and I don't intend to. If you just want to buy your car and be done with it, the extra money for the '05 is well worth it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thank y ou for the replys. The $134 a month difference wouldn't be a huge deal for me financially. Either way I would probably not make any mods for a while. I would be living with the car as is.
Tony

I would be living with the car as is.
Tony[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with these cars stock, belive me, they have plenty of power stock and can get you from point A to point B pretty damn quickly. Alot of people on this forum are big into performance mods, but im not that big on them. This car goes fast enough as is, anymore faster is just going to land my ass in jail or be paying some huge fines. Drive the car and you will understand what im saying.... YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH A GTO!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I went and drove 2 GTO's yesterday. An 05 and and 06. While at one dealershp the salesperson said he had another car, in my price range, that I HAD to drive, and came back with an 05 Cadillac CTS-V. I figired what the heck, his gas right? I was amazed at how great a car it was, my queston to you is this, LS2 vs LS6? Whats the difference? They put out the same HP and Torque.
Tony
www.thechristiancoach.com

·
Registered
57 Posts
So I went and drove 2 GTO's yesterday. An 05 and and 06. While at one dealershp the salesperson said he had another car, in my price range, that I HAD to drive, and came back with an 05 Cadillac CTS-V. I figired what the heck, his gas right? I was amazed at how great a car it was, my queston to you is this, LS2 vs LS6? Whats the difference? They put out the same HP and Torque.
Tony

Im not for sure what the difference actually is, but they are damn similar. Before I bought my goat, I was actually in the market for a CTSV, I still love how they look. Its just hard as hell to find a good CTSV with low mileage at a decent price. In fact, I was able to buy my brand new 06 Goat for cheaper than what a private guy wanted for a used 05 CTSV with 15,000 miles on it. But the brand name of "Cadillac" is going to cost you more than a Pontiac. Both cars, GTO and CTSV, are very nice cars, with similar engines 6.0 and transmissions 6speed (I dont think they make a CTSV with an auto). The only problem with a brand new CTSV is that they are about $10K-$15K more than a new goat.:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not for sure what the difference actually is, but they are damn similar. Before I bought my goat, I was actually in the market for a CTSV, I still love how they look. Its just hard as hell to find a good CTSV with low mileage at a decent price. In fact, I was able to buy my brand new 06 Goat for cheaper than what a private guy wanted for a used 05 CTSV with 15,000 miles on it. But the brand name of "Cadillac" is going to cost you more than a Pontiac. Both cars, GTO and CTSV, are very nice cars, with similar engines 6.0 and transmissions 6speed (I dont think they make a CTSV with an auto). The only problem with a brand new CTSV is that they are about $10K-$15K more than a new goat.:eek:
Thank you for your input. Price wise, I will pay more for a CTSV, but the difference isn't that much, especially considering some of the perks of the Caddy, Heated Seats, Navigation, Sunroof, Pass Through Rear Seat, 4 Doors...
Another concern I have is that both the GTO and the V seem not to be the most reliabe cars on the planet. The CTSV Forum has people selling them because they have soooo many issues. I have heard my fair share of GTO complants as well.

Anyone else have some thoughts on this subject?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
115 Posts
me personaly id go 06 . brand new nobody drove it ware as the other two your getting used . dont know what was done to it , how it was taken care , has miles warrenty lessened. new you get full warrenty last yr made in this style.

·
Registered
415 Posts
ChristianCoach;The CTSV Forum has people selling them because they have soooo many issues. I have heard my fair share of GTO complants as well. Anyone else have some thoughts on this subject? Thanks said:
www.thechristiancoach.com[/url]
Can't really speak to the Cadilac CTSV at all, however, I would submit to
you that besides the dreaded (and sensitive to those affected) strut issue that has plaqued a few 06 GTO's built between Feb and April or May 06, I can't think of too many serious bugs that have affected these cars in general. They were produced in low numbers to begin with, and problems have been few in the big picture...I believe I recall reading about some folks with strut rub issues on some 05's with 17" wheels, and a problem with the FRC's cutting into the wiring harness on a few 04 or 05's (can't remember which. Search threads is a wonderful tool!). But nothing to my knowledge has plagued the platform across the board consistently, other than putting
big SEGs on drivers' faces!:cheers :willy:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Another concern I have is that both the GTO and the V seem not to be the most reliabe cars on the planet.
From a reliability standpoint, both cars are fine. Remember, a lot of people on forums don't post "hey, I've got 20,000 trouble free miles on my car." They usually post to express a problem or concern that they're having. You also get a lot of people who beat the snot out of their cars, like drag racing a CTS-V, then bitch that the back end blew out after repeatedly dumping the clutch at 5000 rpm -- then hopping the wheels for 500 feet. That's the car's fault?

As for the CTS-V vs. the GTO, I shopped the CTS-V a couple days before pulling the trigger on a new GTO. While the CTS-V does have the features you described -- the GTO offers the same performance, without the electronic doo-dads, for a lot less money. Even with a low mile used CTS-V, you're still going to have a lot more depreciation than with a GTO. And even though the CTS-V costs a lot -- its interior, particularly the dash, is pretty cheap looking.

The LS6 is a good powerplant. However, the CTS-V's shifter really stinks -- and there isn't a good aftermarket shifter for it that I'm aware of. If you don't like the factory wheels, then you're kind of hosed because of the 6-lug design.

Another thing I like about the GTO is that you do all kinds of cool things to it with Holden factory parts. I swapped out the tails with a set of Commodore VX SS ones -- and they look awesome. Installing a set of side marker lights as soon as the parts come in from Australia. Stuck a Pontiac SAP grille in, too. You simply don't have the options to personalize a CTS-V like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.