Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my '06 GTO (Black w/ Black/Red interior) Monday evening! I can't believe how fast this thing is! The only mods done to it are a Corsa Cat Back exhaust and cold air intake. However, I'm not very happy with the shift in this thing! Throws are VERY long and kind of a "stirring soup" feeling when finding gears. I've been pouring over the forums and it seems the GMM Rip Shifter is the way to go to fix this. Just wanted to get your alls thoughts on this and where to purchase if this is the way I decide to go. Thanks in advance for any info you all can provide.

Tim
Severn, MD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you searched the forums to find that the GMM Rip Shifter seems to be the best, then why is it those same threads have no comments on it's performance?
Search the forums for 'gmm rip shifter' and you'll find your answers.
Just researching this right now. Do you know a better path to go down? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I've heard Billet Prototypes has a nice super short throw shifter too. Honestly from everything I've read, I can't get a straight answer on the GMM shifter's throw.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have searched this topic on here. It seems that a common comparison is the B&M shifter and the GMM. According to those post from people that have had both, the GMM has a little longer shift but is much crisper.

From what I have gathered, the GMM has a much better feel when shifting. Note that I do not have either and have never driven a GTO with either.

If you go with the GMM there is a race and street version. Look to spend $399 and JHP sells it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Even if the throws were crisper and less "soupy, molasses like, oatmealy, etc?" I've been looking at the GMM but haven't seen a description of the difference between the race and street version, even on their website.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have the Cue ball short shifter that came with the care when i bought it.

Dunno the make and model.

I prefer the stock shifter look and feel.

It's been sitting in the garage.

Make me an offer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
IMO i would go with the B&M and replace the shift knob with an SLP Leather shift knob. Throws are short and crisp and the knob looks and feels great.:cheers

·
Registered
585 Posts
This is about as popular as a screen door in the submarine, but I still like my Hurst Shifter. I have over 100,000 miles on this shifter. Just don't ride down the road with your hand resting on the shifter. I put a "T" bar on it. Love it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Why? Does it slip out of gear? Also I tried looking up pricing on billetprototypes.com and they aren't offering the short throw shifters on there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the stock shifter is crap as far as intuitive shifting goes. One day I was downshifting to pass a guy at 70 and went to go from 3rd into 4th in quick succession and found that shifter wanted to naturally go into 2nd. Good thing I was letting the clutch back out slowly. After the noticeable protest from the motor, I cursed the hell out of that damn shiftgate. I have had numerous problems with it trying to find 2nd when 4th is needed.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
What? Maybe its just been me driving nothing but a man pedal for the last 8 years, but I've always found the shifter naturally snaps to the neutral position between 3rd & 4th on a 5 or 6 speed.

If I've had ANY shifting issues, it's been with the reverse lockout solenoid not functioning, and sometimes when bangin 4-5, I can feel the shifter hang up on the reverse gate. I still can't understand why they didn't just make a manual lockout on the shifter knob itself, like on my Grand Am, or in the old Corvettes... or better yet... put reverse next to first like the old 4 speeds?

·
Registered
8 Posts
still avail. ?

Hi, I'm interested in your short shifter and white ball.
Is it still avail. ? Thanks,

I have the Cue ball short shifter that came with the care when i bought it.

Dunno the make and model.

I prefer the stock shifter look and feel.

It's been sitting in the garage.

Make me an offer.

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
I think the stock shifter is crap as far as intuitive shifting goes. One day I was downshifting to pass a guy at 70 and went to go from 3rd into 4th in quick succession and found that shifter wanted to naturally go into 2nd. Good thing I was letting the clutch back out slowly. After the noticeable protest from the motor, I cursed the hell out of that damn shiftgate. I have had numerous problems with it trying to find 2nd when 4th is needed.
No. The problem is when you do an "excited" shift it's a natural motion to pull the shifter towards your body. Next time try putting your hand "up-side-down" on the shifter with your thumb pointed down and pull back. You'll find that it's impossible to pull it towards you and you'll go into 4th. I NEVER do a race shift with my hand on it in the normal position. It's a sure fire way to find 2nd and potentially ruin your engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts