Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The C5 corvette and the 04 gto seem to have the same tranny. I was looking for a short throw shifter for the goat however couldn't find any specificaly for the gto. Is is possible to install a aftermarket short throw shifter for a c5 corvette on a 6spd goat???
Advice appreciated
thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Anything is possible with lots of money & time. ;) If it were me, I'd wait for a few more C6's to wreck, because its new 6-speed is supposed to have a smoother, shorter throw than its C5 predecessor. I haven't driven either kind of C6 yet, so I can't tell you for sure.

·
Registered
160 Posts
How hard is it to install one of those things? Is it something I would need a shop to do?

·
Registered
160 Posts
did i stutter? ummmm...maybe i should have said... how DIFFICULT is it to put in a short shifter?

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
lisatw151 said:
did i stutter? ummmm...maybe i should have said... how DIFFICULT is it to put in a short shifter?
Lisa,

It's 4 bolts holding the shifter to the floor and a ball socket connecting to the linkage, I could not find installation instructions for a GTO. If your mechanically inclined it should not be a difficult task, If it were myself, I would hand it to the service writer the next time the car goes in for an oil change and pay the $60 to $80 per hour. I learned while trying to work on my Harley that the small amount saved on labor is only a fraction of what it cost to repair the chip in the paint when that damn rachet slips off of the nut.

Groucho said:
Thanks for the link!!!!
Groucho,

Your very welcome.

·
Registered
590 Posts
If you just want a shorter shifter handle just do a search for Lou's Short Stick

Another choice of shifters is the PRO 5.0

Alot of members on the SS Camaro forum like them over all others.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I'm glad to see that there are a few short shift kits for the Goat on the market.

The GTO's stock shifter throw is far too long IMHO. I noticed the same thing about the Caddy CTS-V throw, though I believe they are the same tranny....

I had a UUC Evo shift kit installed in my 323i and it was one of the best fun-to-cost value mods installed in my Bimmer...I miss those short "flick-of-the-wrist" shifts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts