Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems just about everything I have been needing, from a flex plate to an oil filter and other misc parts as well, is out of stock...everywhere. And not just for classic vehicles. I had a theory of "them" wanting to do away with gasoline vehicles years ago and what it would be like to live in a country like Cuba or, oh, China, hmmm. Can't help it, but Cuba and their car situation keeps coming into my mind. Well, I am going to go and put my tin foil hat on and sit in my non-moving GTO because I can't get a part (flywheel) for it. I'll make "Vroom, Vroom" noises and pretend I am shifting threw the gears....."It's time we stop Hey, what's that sound? Everybody look - what's going down?"

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,516 Posts
Well, fortunately Ive spent my life working for the government, and some of the most corrupt politicians who've ever breathed, teaching economics, so let me put your mind at ease. This country will never do away with cars and internal combustion engines. All of those federal regulations are hokus pokus.

This country is and always has been run by the unions. Their votes and money are what make the wheel go round. They choose who the president is, which is why we keep bailing them out. Odd that we don't bail out small business?

Well it's all very controversial and subjective, but... as they say, be careful setting out to find the answer. You might not like what you hear.

Bad news is, we're a corrupt society. Good news is, we still make 700HP cars that get 12 miles to the gallon. WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
472 Posts
I am still trying to figure out how electric cars are better for the environment. This is from Chemical and Engineering news about battery recycling.

"Most of the batteries that do get recycled undergo a high-temperature melting-and-extraction, or smelting, process similar to ones used in the mining industry. Those operations, which are carried out in large commercial facilities—for example, in Asia, Europe, and Canada—are energy intensive. The plants are also costly to build and operate and require sophisticated equipment to treat harmful emissions generated by the smelting process. And despite the high costs, these plants don’t recover all valuable battery materials."

Its not subjective. Follow the money.

·
Premium Member
1972 Pontiac Lemans GTO
1,117 Posts
Seems just about everything I have been needing, from a flex plate to an oil filter and other misc parts as well, is out of stock...everywhere. And not just for classic vehicles. I had a theory of "them" wanting to do away with gasoline vehicles years ago and what it would be like to live in a country like Cuba or, oh, China, hmmm. Can't help it, but Cuba and their car situation keeps coming into my mind. Well, I am going to go and put my tin foil hat on and sit in my non-moving GTO because I can't get a part (flywheel) for it. I'll make "Vroom, Vroom" noises and pretend I am shifting threw the gears....."It's time we stop Hey, what's that sound? Everybody look - what's going down?"
Send us a picture with your hat on Autie lol👍

·
Registered
185 Posts
From what I hear from some of the parts suppliers, manufactures of the parts just can't get enough people to come to work for them to build the items. In general, they have the materials in stock, they just don't have the labor force to keep up with demand. I was thinking importing goods was slow, and potentially things being held up in customs might be the issue, but it hasn't sounded that way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I hear from some of the parts suppliers, manufactures of the parts just can't get enough people to come to work for them to build the items. In general, they have the materials in stock, they just don't have the labor force to keep up with demand. I was thinking importing goods was slow, and potentially things being held up in customs might be the issue, but it hasn't sounded that way.
The flex plate issue isn't a shortage of manpower. I have called/looked from coast to coast and it is just out of stock. I do keep in mind that a lot of vendors do get the same part from one supplier but even w/a cross reference # and manufacturer it is the same end result..nadda, zero, zilch, zero. Before, vendors use to be able to give an apprx time schedule of when they expect parts to be in. They were not able to in this case. We shall see, but I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Its not just general automotive parts. I build restomods and there is a delay on everything right now… 3 months for vintage air… 3-4 months for dakota digital gauges… 3 months for holley systems… certain dart blocks are back ordered for a year…

Covid interrupted the supply chain and everyone has been trying to recover ever since.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Its not just general automotive parts. I build restomods and there is a delay on everything right now… 3 months for vintage air… 3-4 months for dakota digital gauges… 3 months for holley systems… certain dart blocks are back ordered for a year…

Covid interrupted the supply chain and everyone has been trying to recover ever since.

Parts & stuff in general has been interrupted - big time. Labor shortages did it. No one wants to work when they can collect state un-employment PLUS a government check each week. A woman today was telling me she went into the local Walmart and said the shelves were kinda bare. She asked the manager if there were product shortages. The manager said he had plenty of product, just not enough help to put it out on the shelves. She offered to work and give a hand, but she was an employee of Walmart in a different field of work and he said they could not employ her due to the conflict of jobs.

So labor shortages have affected the supply chain, and labor shortages have affected the movement & distribution of supplies that are available.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,516 Posts
My family manufactures luxury yachts. When the pandemic hit, we lost 30% of our employees, on day one. Which was okay because we expected to creep by until it was over... BUT, demand instantly skyrocketed over 40%... which we'd have struggled to deal with even if our employees didnt leave.

As it sits, if the company never sold another boat, we're sold out through December of 2023. Not bad for boats starting at 50' and $1.2 million.

Through it all, I wasnt able to get reproduction suspension parts for my Vette or GTO, but I went with USA made Global West, instead, so more money, but I kept moving. Holley, OTOH couldn't get me a carb, and when they finally did, it arrived damaged, new in box, having been shrink wrapped AFTER the damage. It took me 3 weeks to get Holley on the phone and when I did, they didnt care. So... made in America? No... assembled in America? Yes. Thanks Holley. I'll be buried with my hand sticking out of the ground so that I can give their heirs the finger in 2087.

Now were finally having trouble getting goods for our boats. No Textiles or wood anywhere. They claim that it's the resins.

I'm not buying it. Ive worked for the highest form of govt for decades, and I have yet to see my bosses be honest and forthcoming,or do anything which didnt benefit themselves.

I do think it all goes back to employees being lazy and wanting free money, AS WELL AS companies taking massive, unforgivable govt loans, to keep their employees on board, but then keeping the money for themselves instead.

What's it all mean? I just bought a truck, which apparently didnt exist. However, 2 weeks of searching and I found it. And... every dealership added $15k onto the sticker for fair market value. One dealer had the truck and didnt add a penny to the sticker. Since then, all of my friends and family have come to me and said "OMG!!! Trucks don't exist. Where did you find it?". Basically, I found it right where they always were. On the lot.

I also asked each dealer if they had any new vettes to come see. They said, no, they don't exist. However, last night in Atlantic City, I rode past the corvette capital of the USA, and they had more than 50, out front!

So the pain is real my friends, but the cause is a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Demand is higher than it ever has been, free money is everywhere, and companies are saving a ton on reduced work forces. We'll never really know the truth here, but sooner or later, people will stop spending, and then it'll correct itself. Meantime, do NOT bend over to pick up the soap, my friends.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
1,516 Posts
Oh and yes, the average boat is 70', 3 decks, live on crews, a captain, and costs $5000 in gas every week. No I don't have one... Well, mine is inflatable, but anyway, the moral is that the people who make the laws are living high on the horse, through this. Sold out till 12/23... I still cannot believe it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
We're all in the same boat. Parts just are not available. I've had a pair of RA manifolds on order since March and no dice. They were all I need to get mine back on the road. I've finally decided to finish the build with what was originally on the car. Figure being down on power isn't a big deal since I have to break the engine in anyway. If they are still on back order next spring, I'll cancel and go with the full length headers that I was avoiding. I'll post some update pictures soon. I installed the engine last weekend and the transmission earlier today (took a half day off of work).

·
Registered
441 Posts
My shop is a 14 bay autocenter. We move a LOT of parts. Supply chain is a MESS. Try and buy brake rotors, good Lord.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts