Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to this forum...just test drove an 04 GTO and liked it quite a bit.

I'm unsure whether to get a current 04 (at a very good discount) or wait for the 05. Of course, price is important, but I'm not sure what the LS2 engine is going to give me besides the extra hp, and I don't like the proposed hood scoops, but I would like a more "refined" engine...

one thing I don't like is the way the clutch and accelerator vibrate with engine rpm on the current GTO. Reminds me of the older camaros and mustang which I've test driven. But I'm basically igonorant of GM cars, having driven mostly European cars for the past 15 years. Any suggestions ? I do like this car. It's a perfect wolf in sheep's clothing and that's what I want.

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll tell you, its hard to pass on the deals that are out there on the '04's. I guess that you could look at it this way....If you find an '04 that you absolutely love, go for it. If you want to order one more specific to your taste, wait for an '05.

I much prefer the looks of the 2004. One of the things that I origionally liked about the GTO was that it broke the mold of what Pontiac had been doing for the last decade or so with all the trim pieces, spoilers, and scoops. Now the pictures that I've seen of the 2005's still don't seem too bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think it would really depend on what you would like. Since the 05's will be arriving soon, you could probably get a great deal on the 04. If it was me, I would be getting the 05 for mainly the LS2. I want that extra 50 HP, and that extra amount of torque. I do not like the hood scoops on the 05 either but that can easily be changed. I would figure that once this board starts to grow you can find someone that wants an 05 hood for an 04 hood. Again it really depends on what you want. I would go with 05 IMHO. just my .02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just saw this page. Apparantly there is a hood delete option for 2005, for a hood without scoops

http://ultimategto.com/scripts/statsexplorer.cgi?year=2005&f1=options

Oh well, I guess that leaves me still in limbo. :eek:
50 extra hp normally would be a huge increase, but in this case it's about 15 percent more (still nothing to sneeze at).
I guess I'm wondering what other advantages the LS2 might have (such as some kind of fuel economizer feature...not sure I'm phrasing this right...like what Chrysler claims for its Hemi in the 300C). The test GTO which I was offered for 28k (good price !) was unfortunately black on black, had 1300 miles and the trip computer said 14 mpg avg. I'm going to use this as a daily driver too. Thanks !

·
Registered
13 Posts
lightfoot,

I can't seem to get the link you provided to work. However, I'm happy to hear that you can opt out of the hood scoops for '05. :)

If you don't mind me asking, what is the selection like at your local dealers right now. There are over a dozen here between several dealers in western PA. If you don't want the black on black, maybe you can have the dealer get one in for you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
According to a marketing team memo that I pulled off of GM dealerworld, the 05' starts production in mid september with the first arrivals into the U.S. planned for December.

I like the hood.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are two available in my town. The local dealer has sold only one all year.

So it's not an easy decision. Basically an 04 at a good discount or an 05 at full MSRP and wait till December.

Not an easy call.

·
Registered
10 Posts
lightfoot said:
There are two available in my town. The local dealer has sold only one all year.

So it's not an easy decision. Basically an 04 at a good discount or an 05 at full MSRP and wait till December.

Not an easy call.
Even after 8 months since the introduction of the 2004 GTO, a lot of dealers are still marking up this car. What makes you think you can get the 2005 at MSRP when the yarrive in December when a lot of buyers can't even get MSRP for the 04 during this month of August?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also keep in mind you can slap a Procharger on the LS1 and have 75-100 more horses rather than pay for the 05 LS2. You can also put the Z06 heads and cam on the LS1 for about another 110 horses. Lots of things you can do with an '04 that's marked down! :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
redgtosamurai said:
Also keep in mind you can slap a Procharger on the LS1 and have 75-100 more horses rather than pay for the 05 LS2. You can also put the Z06 heads and cam on the LS1 for about another 110 horses. Lots of things you can do with an '04 that's marked down! :p
:agree Very good point. The LS1 has been around the block a few time and there is already strong aftermarket support there for it. So basically you are saying that for the money you would be saving, you could make up that 50hp and then some.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
desertgoat said:
Even after 8 months since the introduction of the 2004 GTO, a lot of dealers are still marking up this car. What makes you think you can get the 2005 at MSRP when the yarrive in December when a lot of buyers can't even get MSRP for the 04 during this month of August?
I refer you to the C5 & C6 Corvette. Sure, there are dealers still trying to mark up the C5's ... but most dropped their prices to unload what they could, so that they could retain their allocation for the C6. Pontiac would likely hold back on shipping 05 GTO's to dealers who can't unload their 04's. On top of that ... if you saw a new 2004 (with a $2,000 rebate) next to a new 2005 ... would you really expect to pay LIST, or even OVER LIST for the 2004?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I won't buy an 05 GTO for more than MSRP. They tried that in 04 and look what it got them. Low sales volume.
Plus, at some point it just makes sense to get a C6 instead. I mean if some Pontiac dealer wants 37k just say you'll go get a 'vette for 8k more.

Still thinking....I suppose you are right about horsepower and mods. I'll go back and take another look at an 04....

·
Registered
38 Posts
lightfoot said:
...at some point it just makes sense to get a C6 instead. I mean if some Pontiac dealer wants 37k just say you'll go get a 'vette for 8k more.
You could also get a very low mileage, nearly new C5 with more guts and glory (vs. GTO) for thousands less than a GTO!

I just turned down an offer from my local Pontiac Dealer on an 04. They wanted $3,500 down, plus $436 per month on a 3 year lease (15K yr). I paid about the same lease price for a $48,000 Escalade in 1999 ... $10 more/month for a $48,000 C5 in 2001 (12k miles), and $70 less/month for a $39,000 Saab 9-5 in 2002!

After spending all of that money ... I still would not be able to get into the back seat ... nor would my wife or son!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with the 04. Got it 3 days ago. I too pondered about the 04/05 decision. You see what choice I made. I could not see paying $6000 more (with the great gas guzzler tax) for the 05. That money would be well spent on mods and be much faster than the 05 anyway. Plus, I could not pass up 0.9% for 36 months I mean, I am paying like less than $300 to finance the car, plus they gave me the $2000 incentive to do it. It really was a no brainer for me anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Is the 05' with the six speed supposed to have the gas guzzler tax too? I thought it was just for the auto.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I sure hope so. Either way, It's gonna happen. this is my only chance to have the 40 year split. The 65' that dad bought new, and the 05'.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts