Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently cant drive a manual since none of the cars I have owned (crown vic, and Impala) didnt come in manual. Was looking at possbily learning it and getting a manual GTO. Any real preference on these, other then getting around the gas guzzler tax.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Absolutely get a manual. You'll have a six speed gearbox vs. four, far more control by selecting geats when you want to and just an overall superior driving experience by being more involved with the car. It's not hard to learn how to operate one at all. See you find a rental or something to train on and build your confidence. Since rental cars are pretty much all automatics, try finding something like a U-Haul pickup truck or something. You won't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of getting a rental to leanr, didnt think of the uhaul idea, dont know any people that have one avail.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had manuals all my life, then went to an auto (2004 GTP) and got rid of it for the GTO 6 speed after about one year. Love shifting my own gears - a lot more fun.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
6 speed is a better car for me personally. I like the autos and they are fast as hell, but I like having the control.

As for learning.

Commit an afternoon to it, find a friend who has a manual and learn off of that car. I just recently taught my sister on a 6 speed G6. Amazing car to learn on.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Taxman said:
I currently cant drive a manual since none of the cars I have owned (crown vic, and Impala) didnt come in manual. Was looking at possbily learning it and getting a manual GTO. Any real preference on these, other then getting around the gas guzzler tax.
The 4L65E is a smooth reliable auto. Of course another two gears would be nice. And manual shift paddles would be nice.

The Tremec T56 on the other hand is not best of breed when it comes to a manual trans. Clunky shifter and slow synchros. I know, I own one.

Forget the old adage about a manual trans having a speed advantage. Most people will be faster most of the time with an auto.

The only downside is a severe mileage penalty and the guzzler tax.

On the other hand, it's much easier to eat a cheeseburger while driving.

·
Registered
214 Posts
WS6Vert said:
The auto GTO is faster than the 6. Whoda thunk it?
:lol: With my grandma driving it.

I have never seen a stock Auto GTO run faster than 13.6 and I have run back-to-back-to-back 13.3's on a 72 degree day with my M6 bone stock. The posted numbers by all the car magazines are not done with aggressive shifting.

·
Registered
103 Posts
my last four or five vehicles were standard shift, and nowadays I consider automatic cars to be a lot less fun to drive. "...but it sucks driving in rush-hour traffic...," so says some of my friends. I say to that, " get over it, or wake up earlier." I'll suggest learning to drive standard-shift to anyone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well I read that the auto was faster on this site and Pontiac claimed it was as well. Two tenths in the quarter was the figure I believe. I thought the 05 GTO ran 13.0 not 13.6.

·
Registered
454 Posts
if you want to eat cheeseburgers while driving get an auto.......for me the ONLY choice was the 6 spd
I bought a 69 GTO Judge 4 spd when I was 17 and taught myself to drive it in about 20 mins in hilly upstate NY......

·
Registered
163 Posts
QwkRed05GTO said:
:lol: With my grandma driving it.

I have never seen a stock Auto GTO run faster than 13.6 and I have run back-to-back-to-back 13.3's on a 72 degree day with my M6 bone stock. The posted numbers by all the car magazines are not done with aggressive shifting.
My Crossfire SRT-6 roadster runs a 13.3 and it's automatic!:lol:
My auto WS-6 vert runs 13.5 stock. Damn maybe I dont want to buy a GTO after all!:cool

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.