Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may know the answer to my own question, but I'll ask it anyway.

The ball joint on the side mirror on my '67 is loose. Not so loose that it won't stay up, but loose enough that you have to adjust it every time you get in, because closing the door makes it fall.

Is there a way to tighten that, or is that going to be a replacement item?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since I'm the only one driving my '66, I set the mirror where I wanted it and then put a little blue locktite around the ball. Not real sophisticated, and not a fix if you have multiple drivers, but it worked tor me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For what it's worth. If you really have to have your original, you could try the following repair that has worked for me in the past on my 65's. Remove mirror from vehicle, place on a solid cloth covered surface, glass side down. Using a 'sharp' punch and 'small', I repeat small hammer, carefully peen down the opening around the mirror ball. Over time the hole gets enlarged and distorted, reducing the ability to grab the ball firmly. This is a shade tree repair and will work for a while, unfortunately the metal has become fatigued and will let go over time but this repair will buy you some time. New mirrors I believe are about $40-50 and typically are good quality. Some of you may already know this but the original mirrors can be reversed. Place a small piece of wood on the mirror surface, push in slightly to relieve pressure off the retaining clip, remove clip and mirror will come out. You typically will find a 'new' surface on the reverse side, replace in reverse order. Don't loose the internal springs. Found a couple of original mirrors at a swap meet, good chrome but I guess discarded due to bad mirror surface. Found 'new' mirror on reverse side'. Never thought of using locktite/super glue, less work ....

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I think what DSMTiger said.....perhaps the locktite green sleeve locker. The ball socket does wear, is pot metal, and was not meant to be in service for 50 years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this problem, too. On another forum, another owner gave out this advice. Remove the mirror from the car. Remove the mirror glass from the frame. Cut out a small 1" square piece of plastic from a milk jug. Install this piece between the socket and ball. This will add just enough friction to hold the mirror in place. Not permanent but will last for many years.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I had this problem, too. On another forum, another owner gave out this advice. Remove the mirror from the car. Remove the mirror glass from the frame. Cut out a small 1" square piece of plastic from a milk jug. Install this piece between the socket and ball. This will add just enough friction to hold the mirror in place. Not permanent but will last for many years.
That works, but if you can get the glass out w/o breaking it or the snap ring, peening the housing is a permanent solution.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same here on my 66, orig. dated mirror.. When I first got it 8 yrs. ago I put on a repro GM mirror, my wife happened to come outside as I just got done putting it on and said OMG your not actually leaving that on are you. I switched it back immediately of course and thought what would I do back in the day, Easy.. a drop or two of super glue on the ball lasts for months..problem solved.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts