Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read how they don't work really well. Mine pretty much don't work at all -- even after closing the vents on the far sides of the dash.

However, I did learn that by simply running the air conditioning -- all the windows pretty much clear up at the same time -- even the windshield and sides. You can even tilt the far side air vents toward the side windows if you want.

Of course, you can turn the heat up so you don't freeze.

Keep in mind that I'm out here in California -- so the need for heavy duty windshield de-icing/defogging isn't needed -- but did want to share the tip in case you're running into the same problem...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Always good to remind the new folks about one of the idiosyncracies of the car. For those of us in the cooler climes, may need to switch between defrost and dash vents to clear the side windows completely. And don't forget to roll the windows down a bit when parking in a garage after the car is good and hot to get rid of the moist air generated by the melting snow from your shoes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Of course it works better with the A/C on -- that's why it has "ac / DEFROST" written by it. Nearly all cars sold in the US now days have it so the A/C is on automatically when you switch it to defrost (because defrost works better with the moisture removed, which A/C does). I'm glad the goat gives us the option though to have defrost on WITHOUT having the A/C on at the same time.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boss_hogg said:
Of course it works better with the A/C on -- that's why it has "ac / DEFROST" written by it. Nearly all cars sold in the US now days have it so the A/C is on automatically when you switch it to defrost (because defrost works better with the moisture removed, which A/C does). I'm glad the goat gives us the option though to have defrost on WITHOUT having the A/C on at the same time.
This is from http://www.mygmlink.com:

Why does the sound of my engine change when I turn on the Defrost?

"You're hearing the engine compensate for the air conditioning compressor turning ON. Even though A/C is not selected, in FRONT defrost mode the A/C compressor will run automatically at temperatures over approximately degrees 40 degrees F (4 degrees C) to improve windshield clearing performance."

I typically like to vent air through the front defroster vents because it isn't as obtrusive as having the air blow over your face from the dash vents -- then I noticed teh A/C compressor was running all the time -- turns out that this was causing it. FYI.

·
Registered
7 Posts
^^^Hm, interesting. I believe that totally for a 'normal' GM car...but I still wonder if it's actually the case with the goat? It could be though...because I have yet to drive my car in weather over 40 degrees unfortunately. I'll find out this summer I guess.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Has anyone ever come up with a fix to correct the side window defoggers not working? This is the first winter driving my '04 and it is very annoying. I saw the post about using the AC, but would rather use the defroster if possible. Any help out there?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

'Guru

·
Registered
3 Posts
Strange question... I know on my '05 it says AC/Defroster on it, but do the 04's say that? I don't remember that on my '04, and it's is not here currently so I can't just go check it.
It was added in '05 I believe. My 04 doesn't have it.

Aslo I do notice when the door is open and it's on defrost a lot of air comes out the top of the duct, so it must not be getting directed to the glass correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Has anyone ever come up with a fix to correct the side window defoggers not working? This is the first winter driving my '04 and it is very annoying. I saw the post about using the AC, but would rather use the defroster if possible. Any help out there?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

'Guru
I read somewere that you have to remove the side panel where the door seals against it and trim some plasitc off the inside defrost duct it becomes a resriction. I haven't tried it yet but I will soon.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ Yep. Some guys have pulled different parts of the ductwork apart and cleaned it up to improve airflow. Haven't had the need as our climate our here is pretty mild. Can't imagine what the fogging is like in areas where it snows, etc.

Meanwhile, putting the a/c and rear defogger on as soon as you get into the car is your best bet to keep fogging to a minimum.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks guys...good information to think about. My warranty goes off in a couple days, and I was hoping to get that taken care of, but it sounds like it isn't going to be that easy. I have a lot of air coming out to side of the dash when the defroster is on, so it has to be a restriction in the side defog ducts. I'll report back if I come up with a cure or can make it any better.

Merry Christmas to all!

'Guru

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well, I took apart the ductwork for the drivers side door vent and defogger and came to the conclusion there isn't a thing that can be done to fix it. What a totally crap design! Totally pisses me off! If the car wasn't so much fun to drive I'd ship it back to AU!

'Guru

·
Registered
40 Posts
For those that are still dealing with this poor defrosting of side windows, I think I may have stumbled on a solution.:willy: While running some wiring I remembered the problem so I took some panels out and found that the side insert was not properly drilled out.

If you look at the image showing the insert you will notice the area on the top side that is darker and has some rough edges. That area was solid plastic not allowing any air to flow out the top to the vent by the window. I took a dermal tool and cleaned it out.

To get the insert out you need to pop out the window vent, it only has 1 post clip so it will come out easily. Then you need to pull up and mostly out the black plastic tube that goes down to the insert(see other image). Pull out the insert, it sticks a little at the end but just keep pulling. Drill out the plastic and re-install.

Push the insert back in carefully so as to not displace the insulation inside the panel. It works better if the side vent is open. After you get it all the way in, push the top tube back down into the opening you just cleaned out. Put the door vent back into place and you are done.

If you look at the area where the door closes to the interior panel you will notice 2 holes. The top one allows air from your defroster setting to come into the door and hit the window (close door vent when using this setting). The bottom one is for the side vent. If you close the side vent you will force air up to the window vent so you can get air on the window with both settings.

Hope this works as well for you as it has for me.

View attachment 10609

View attachment 10610

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.