Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does anyone else think those plastice fake "cam" covers are silly? They are covering up a beautiful small block chevy pushrod engine. I haven't tried to take the covers off yet and I'm wondering what it looks like under there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
"cam covers"

These things just snap off and expose the individual coils for the ignition system. I have had mine off but don't know if I care about that look either. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
194 Posts
They are not cam covers because we have pushrod engines. The real cam cover is the engine block. The covers you see protecting your ignition coils are called fuel rail covers because they snap onto the fuel rails. If the coils were relocated and the valve covers made flat and polished, there would be no problem leaving them off. For me, I have to. The chrome will peel off if the covers are left on a hot engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it's a pushrod (see my original post). I just checked out the new C6 and it's got the same kind of covers as we do. I guess having a bunch of ignition coils sticking up kind of spoils the effect of crackle-finished valve covers like the old muscle cars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't remember on what vehicle I saw it on, but I saw an LS1 motor that had a "Red" valve cover. Not sure if they were powder coated or vacuum metalized, or whatever, but it looked pretty damn kewl even with the coil packs on em.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Fuel Rail Covers, FRC's, for mod short lists, might look silly to some, ugly to others, but I'd rather have them than not.

my '02 SS Camaro did not have them, and they were expensive and had to be cut in several places to get them to fit.

all those wires and the coil packs are exposed to elements without them.

If you all like keeping your engine area clean this will keep water, soap, grease off the coils for the most part.

I think the engine compartment looks much better and I've had one car without and now with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts