Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was making my daily commute home (7.5 miles:lol: ) and got stopped at a light. While waiting I see (and hear) this little yellow thing turn onto the hwy I'm on and take off like a bat out of h3ll. I don't think much about it, and kinda laughed at the fart-can exhaust sound but see him weaving in and out of traffic ahead (speed limit in only 55 now). I continue my fuel-efficient ways and stay on the highway for a couple miles until my turn and take that another couple miles to another stoplight. Guess who's RIGHT infront of me at the light...the bumble bee! All that whipping around in traffic and pissing people off got him absolutely nowhere.

Ok, so after all that mumbo-jumbo, I decided to have some fun with him when I saw the APEXi sticker, and Mazdaspeed emblem...then heard the cam lop coming from his exhaust. He takes off like I figured he would (full throttle) and I give it enought gas to get into the lane next to him. I glance over with a little grin and he gives me a couple blow-off valve sounds just to let me know he's turbo'd. Then it happens, he hits it and I leave it in 2nd to blow by him. He didn't give up and comes SHOOTING up, I hear the turbo, exhaust and BOV as he shifts and gives it another shot...I put it in 3rd, squack the tires and just pull away from him. That must've been enough for him as I slowed back down and he comes up next to me, gives me a thumbs up and his passenger is laughing his ass off. This being my first "kill" since I traded my 400 AWHP Evo in brought that smile back to my face that had been gone for about a year. :D Oh yeah...I'm still completely stock so I only have more smiles to come. :cheers

·
Registered
74 Posts
haha Mazdaspeed what? the new 3's and 6's arent bad. I mean there no race for a goat, but still deserve a lil respect. Whyd u get rid of that evo? I have a ( supposedly) 330 whp 05 evo around me that wants to race.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha Mazdaspeed what? the new 3's and 6's arent bad. I mean there no race for a goat, but still deserve a lil respect. Whyd u get rid of that evo? I have a ( supposedly) 330 whp 05 evo around me that wants to race.
I had dumped too much money into the Evo and it just wasn't comfortable to drive anymore. The ride was rough, the 3" turbo-back exhaust was loud ALL THE TIME, and I was getting a little old (27 now) for a little rice rocket with a big wing. SOOO, I parted it out and traded it in on a new fully loaded Hummer H3. It only took a year of driving that to miss speed. Almost a year to the date...I traded it for the GTO. Evo's are no joke if they are cammed and tuned with the right supporting mods...but I do enjoy the goat much more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't get me wrong, I loved my Evo. 400 hp to the wheels was a blast to drive, but being in the process of getting married it was time to get rid of it. I'd love to get another one later on in life, but I'll probably go a different route and try a bigger turbo instead of spending all my money trying to max out the stock one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The car you raced wasn't a 2007 or 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 because they only come in 4 colors: Black Mica, Cosmic Blue Mica, Sunlight Silver Metallic, and True Red. You probably would beat a Mazdaspeed 3 but you wouldn't be pulling on him that hard because they do 0-60 in 5.4 and the 1/4 mile in 14.0 @101 mph. The GTO beats the Mazdaspeed 3 by about .1-.3 seconds and .03 g on the skidpad but the Mazdaspeed 3 stops 23 feet quicker from 70 mph and it beats the GTO by 3.7 seconds from 50-70 mph in top gear.

http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/7360/pontiac-gto-page4.html

Pontiac GTO

ACCELERATION (Seconds)

Zero to:

60 mph: 5.3
100 mph: 13.4
Street start, 5-60 mph: 5.8
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 10.2
50-70 mph: 10.4
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.0 sec @ 102 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 158 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 185 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/download/0705_powertoys_powertrain_ss.pdf

Mazdaspeed 3

ACCELERATION (Seconds)

Zero to:

60 mph: 5.4
100 mph: 13.6
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.0
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 10.5
50-70 mph: 6.7
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.0 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 151 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 162 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.85 g

·
Registered
307 Posts
Pontiac GTO

ACCELERATION (Seconds)

Zero to:

60 mph: 5.3
100 mph: 13.4
Street start, 5-60 mph: 5.8
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 10.2
50-70 mph: 10.4
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.0 sec @ 102 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 158 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 185 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

This is an LS1 GTO's numbers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wow, nice job on the homework! I didn't say it was a mazdaspeed 3 or 6 (and yes I am an LS2 so the comparison would be a little different from your numbers). It was actually a mazdaspeed protege that someone had done some work to. I don't know what he has done to it, but it's turbo'd (I think they come that way), cammed (they don't lop like that from the factory), and had exhaust. I know it's still slow compared to an LS2...that's not what I was getting at, but thanks for trying to hijack.

As for as all of this crap your copy/pasted...

The GTO beats the Mazdaspeed 3 by about .1-.3 seconds and .03 g on the skidpad but the Mazdaspeed 3 stops 23 feet quicker from 70 mph and it beats the GTO by 3.7 seconds from 50-70 mph in top gear.

I wasn't talking about a road track and out-cornering him or seeing who could stop faster. Also, why the heck would anybody care what the GTO does in 6th gear from 50-70? Pointless info...quit trying to be a hater.

:seeya:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts