Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With several hours, a couple of trips to the parts store, and some small amount of profanity, I now have my Sirius Sportster mounted in the Goat.



While I had the console and center stack torn apart I also added a couple of 12 Power plugs where the Ashtray would go. They are hidden behind the door until needed.

Where are you satellite radio listeners putting the antenna? Center of the dash doesn't given good reception, I discovered, and I have heard the back deck is equally bad. I hate to put the antenna on the exterior of the vehicle and will avoid it if possible. Also, how would you feed an antenna wire from the trunk to the back seat ( I have gotten spoiled on vehicles that have pass-through rear seats).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
diverdan said:
With several hours, a couple of trips to the parts store, and some small amount of profanity, I now have my Sirius Sportster mounted in the Goat.



While I had the console and center stack torn apart I also added a couple of 12 Power plugs where the Ashtray would go. They are hidden behind the door until needed.

Where are you satellite radio listeners putting the antenna? Center of the dash doesn't given good reception, I discovered, and I have heard the back deck is equally bad. I hate to put the antenna on the exterior of the vehicle and will avoid it if possible. Also, how would you feed an antenna wire from the trunk to the back seat ( I have gotten spoiled on vehicles that have pass-through rear seats).
I'm using the small XM magnetic mount antenna which is about 1.5" square. It's on the metal of the back deck UNDER the visible package tray and it works great. I ran the wire between the rear seat and the gas tank, there are several gaps. It took about 30 minutes to install the whole antenna and wire. You can't see any part of the antenna at all, inside or out of the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
diverdan said:
With several hours, a couple of trips to the parts store, and some small amount of profanity, I now have my Sirius Sportster mounted in the Goat.



While I had the console and center stack torn apart I also added a couple of 12 Power plugs where the Ashtray would go. They are hidden behind the door until needed.

Where are you satellite radio listeners putting the antenna? Center of the dash doesn't given good reception, I discovered, and I have heard the back deck is equally bad. I hate to put the antenna on the exterior of the vehicle and will avoid it if possible. Also, how would you feed an antenna wire from the trunk to the back seat ( I have gotten spoiled on vehicles that have pass-through rear seats).
I mounted my MyFi on the right side of the dash. I ran beveled bolts thru the MyFi car bracket, then thru the holes that are over the chime, so when I pull it out of the car there will be no marks left at all. I can see just the display thru the steering wheel, which is all I need since I use its remote control. It's as inconspicuous as I could make it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vmax said:
I'm using the small XM magnetic mount antenna which is about 1.5" square. It's on the metal of the back deck UNDER the visible package tray and it works great. I ran the wire between the rear seat and the gas tank, there are several gaps. It took about 30 minutes to install the whole antenna and wire. You can't see any part of the antenna at all, inside or out of the car.
When you say back deck are you referring to the shelf inside the car where the rear speakers are? If thats not right, I guess you are referring to the trunk; in either event, what is the "Package Tray"?

I reran the antenna to the shelf between the speakers and the third brake light. So far, this location has been much better that the dash. When I put the mount in my Z06, I moved the antenna 3-4 times before I was happy so I am open to trying other locations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
diverdan said:
When you say back deck are you referring to the shelf inside the car where the rear speakers are? If thats not right, I guess you are referring to the trunk; in either event, what is the "Package Tray"?

I reran the antenna to the shelf between the speakers and the third brake light. So far, this location has been much better that the dash. When I put the mount in my Z06, I moved the antenna 3-4 times before I was happy so I am open to trying other locations.
That shelf where the speakers are is also called a package tray. Way back when that area was HUGE people put stuff there. Bad idea! Anyway, for the antenna to work best it has to be attached to metal, so I put it under the upholstered part of the back deck, on top of the sheetmetal in which the speakers sit. I did this in my last car as well, it's hidden and works great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
I put the antenna for my skyfi2 on the back deck inside the car, in the middle, as close to the window as possible, it's worked perfectly for the 2 months I've had the car - no dropouts at all. I still have the wires just sitting on top of the hump between the 2 rear seats - I haven't gotten around to trying to hide the wire yet. As for mounting of the skyfi2, I just used some industrial strength velcro (bought at Sam's Club) to attach it to the metal (aluminum?) strip that runs up-down on the left of the radio. It's only about 1" from the steering wheel so I can push the preset buttons without needing the remote control.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top