Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, thank you for an awesome forum!

Since monday I am unable to upload pictures to the forum.
After hitting upload, the box goes and stays blank
Pretty sure the problem is not on my end
Is there a problem?
thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I works for me. Are your files in jpg, jpeg, or png format? That seems to be the only stipulation as there is not a file size or disk space limitation.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
'Something' is going on for me too and I haven't quite figured out what... it's weird because my computer at home acts differently than the one at work. That part of it tells the it techie in me that at least part of the problem is in my browser set up. That issue is with displaying photos that have been uploaded - that have thumbnails in the actual post. On my work machine, it's fine --- on my home machine, the first photo will display but it's always in the extreme upper left-hand part of the screen and I have to scroll up to see it. After that, all the controls in the photo box don't work --- X doesn't close the photo, NEXT and PREV don't work - in fact the only way to clear the photo is to refresh the web page. Both machines are XP-Pro, running I.E. 8 -

The other weird thing that's happening to me has to do with advanced mode and writing posts and/or replies. This problem is the same on both my work and home systems. I can no longer click on the "insert image" or "insert link" controls - well I can click on them but the window that pops up isn't usable - instead of having a field to supply the url of the link or of the photo, it contains text that says: vBulletin message --- Invalid Page Specified. Since that started happening the only way I can include links to other pages or to photos has been to type in the various [...] [/...] tags by hand, surrounding the link itself.

Yet another wrinkle is that everything works fine on my home machine if I use Firefox --- but not with IE.

Bear

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
IE is my browser.

I see what you mean about insert image or link. I have a problem too.... I guess I never use those icons. Managing attachments works fine....

·
Super Moderator
8,430 Posts
Theres the problem....... IE..... on our clubs website some have issues downloading our monthly newsletters with IE. It freezes. Same with our sites administrator. When I try it on IE same deal....... IE has glitches.... I never use it. When I attempt to use this site on IE it runs lethargic often. I think its an IE conflict. I don't promote browsers but both Firefox and Goggle are much better than IE.... try Firefox? if you don't like just delete it.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Ok... going to put on my 35+ years experience software engineering wizard hat here :cool

I understand that browsers are different and they all have their features and foibles. However, as an erstwhile web designer also, I don't feel like I have the right to dictate to my users which browsers they are "permitted" to use. As long as a browser accurately implements the basic html and client side scripting mechanisms that are commonly used, then I feel like it's incumbent on ME to code my web sites so that they all work correctly.

Yeah, IE has it's problems but so do the others. I've used Firefox before and still have it installed here, but honestly - my personal experience has been that on the web sites I frequent most often, IE is the one that usually works properly and embodies the features I want.

Ok, climbing down off the soap-box. Well, half-way down at least :D

It'd be more helpful to suggest an approach for isolating, identifying, and perhaps correcting the problem that apparently several of us are having, regardless of which browser is being used. Folks ought to be free to use what they like. :cheers

Bear

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Okay, looks like it works with google chrome too.

Vikings new retractable dome! :D ;)
Alright, now that's just being counterproductive!!! Although, it looks like there's alot of green and gold on it....

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
I agree with Bill. This site has always been slow loading for me. I use IE as well both home and work( no option at work).

I am pretty sure IE is still the most used browser around, and while I can be a techie when I want to, I don't want to have to change browsers just to view a website.
If the site can't be optimized to work decently with IE I think there are other issues going on.

Just my opinion, and I do like this site, I wouldn't have become a lifetime member if I didn't.

Russ

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
Greetings, thank you for an awesome forum!

Since monday I am unable to upload pictures to the forum.
After hitting upload, the box goes and stays blank
Pretty sure the problem is not on my end
Is there a problem?
thanks for your help
Are you having problems uploading into the photo gallery or picture attachments in your post?

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
I use Safari and have no issues. IE is still lagging behind more modern browsers. I'm sure Microsoft will catch up eventually. ;)

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pic atachments to my post. when I hit "upload" the screen goes all white
It works fine on my wifes 'puter.I may have deleted something I shouldnt have.
is there an applet or something that may be missing?
Or can my acct be reset?
appreciate your help Sir

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
I've been getting this error alot lately:

Database error
The database has encountered a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:
•Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
•Open the www.gtoforum.com home page, then try to open another page.
•Click the Back button to try another link.

The www.gtoforum.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts