Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
I have a 67 GTO that has not been started in 3 years.
Yes, I know that she has been mistreated so now I'm trying to make up for it by getting her started and back on the road. The engine is a 1972 455 that came out of a Grand Prix.
Is there anything I should do before trying to start her up as in pour some oil in the cylinders, replace the gasoline etc?
Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
the fuel in the tank n carb. is now shellac. these guys will give you a list of pre-start things to do. might wanna buy some marvel mystery oil. wish you luck.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Clean carb, drain and flush tank and pump, clean sock in sending unit inside tank, replace rubber fuel lines, replace fuel filter. Drain and replace oil and filter, new plugs and wires if they look cracked, check the points then gas and fire it up.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Or, get a fire extinguisher and roll the dice. Verify fluid levels, prime the carb with carb cleaner, and give it a shot. I've fired up cars that sat for 5 years and they ran out ok. Depends where you are, and what gas is in it. Sometimes it works out.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
I helped a coworker start a 1958 Cadillac Series 62 4 door once that had been sitting since 1971. This was in 2009, so 38 years?

Had the tank boiled out, blew air thru the fuel lines, poured some ATF down the cylinders the week prior and turned the engine over by hand one rotation every night for a week. Poured some gas down the carb and she fired up right away. Smoked like a hay fire but damn it, the thing ran! After brakes and a new set of wide whites my friend drove it to work occasionally and eventually sold it to a buyer in the UK.

So, that said, three years is nothing. If the car was properly prepped for storage I would just say fresh fuel and air up the tires, you'll be good to go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts