Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of driving accompanied only by the low monotone of a news station, I've decided to load up my six-disc CD player. It's performed flawlessly until lately, when one particular disc has produced a few skips.

I can't figure out if it's the CD itself, the slot in which the disc sits (the number-four position in the stack of six) or the CD player. It was skipping pretty badly on my way to work this morning, so I popped the disc out and looked at it. A few light scritchy marks, but nothing major. I've seen discs that were WAY worse off and still played well.

I'll play some of the other discs in the stack and see if they've started skipping. Maybe I'll put one that I know works fine into the number-four spot to see if that has anything to do with it. I've never had a six-disc CD player before.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. That's good to know. I've played this disc before, both in a car and at home, with no problems that I can remember. Just so weird that it's not working so well in the Goat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The GTOs CD Player seems very sensitive to some burned CD-Rs. There have been a few posts on this and the concensus seems to be Memeorex CD-Rs burned as slow as possible for skip free playback. There are other brands that work too. If you have skips change brands of CD and burn slower.

·
Registered
69 Posts
GM Kid said:
After years of driving accompanied only by the low monotone of a news station, I've decided to load up my six-disc CD player. It's performed flawlessly until lately, when one particular disc has produced a few skips.

I can't figure out if it's the CD itself, the slot in which the disc sits (the number-four position in the stack of six) or the CD player....
It can't be the #4 position, because the changer just stores the CD's in different slots, but there's only one read head. There isn't an individual laser for each of the 6 slots. You can actually hear the changer moving the discs to the read position when it changes them. So, if your other discs play fine, it has to be the disc in the #4 slot. It can't be the player or the position that the disc sits in. Unless there's a burr or something in the #4 slot that's scratching your discs, which would seem unlikely...

Hope that narrows it down for you...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again, gentlemen. This is the beauty of an online forum--tapping into others' expertise, even if only to supply a little peace of mind.

After my drive home last night, I concluded it must be the disc itself. Just as you said, Vette68, I suspected there was only one "read" position, and that the disc slots just moved around to maneuver the six discs into position. Before driving home last night I popped out disc #4 and did an impromptu cleaning (the "breathe-on-it-and-wipe-on-your-pant-leg" method), and the disc actually played better. Still a few skips. I have some of that Meguiar's plastic polish at home, and I may give that a try. All my other discs play just fine, so it has to be just a quirk with this particular CD.

Phew!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.