Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tough time fitting the standard-sized oil filter into my 1967 GTO with headers. Any idea of a smaller/narrower oil filter that would be much easier to use? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
It's a common problem. I've heard of folks using filters that are shorter, remote filter systems, etc. Do make sure you have the right filter housing. It's the one that sort of angles the filter back towards the block a little bit. That can make a difference too.

Bear

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul, you need the 110* filter housing, and a shorty filter.....p-24 (?).... ERIC

Saw an oil filter in the Ames Performance catalog that measured three inches in diameter and four and five-eighths in length and was recommended when additional clearance for headers is needed. Car is in the shop. Will check it out tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
ac part # PF61 fram PH3675 original application was a late model trans am. its got good clearance with headers, but now your capacity will be 5- 1/2 qts. instead of 6 . rickm.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have the same problem with the 428 and headers.. I now use the "Wix 51522" filter. The Delco PF61(e) should also fit.. I use them on my Cadillac and they seem to have pretty much the same size.
That's the link to the Wix filter Part Detail

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Check with Butler performance...they have them, they also have a nice "remote mount" filter kit. ....I have one around somewhere..I'll look for it. Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts