Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://video.lsxtv.com/video/1700

SNEAK PEAK!!! 2009 Camaro Convertible Cruising on Woodward! Video first time ever!

LSX TV got the 2009 Camaro Convertible Crusing at the Woodward Dream Cruise for the first time ever driving.... got a full video including an interview with a Chevrolet Top Dog Ed Peper about plans for the '09 release and upcoming models..

Some highlights..

.. got video of it driving
.. the running prototype had a 400 hp LS2 from the 07 vette (no surprise)
.. vehicles will be available at some dealers by end of 08 (coupe), convertible at end of 09
.. car looked sweet with 22"'s on it.. was slammed.. ride height as perfect

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
  • Why a back seat indeed?
  • Why did they go retro on the instruments? Horrible interior!
  • Why did they put an IRS in a car worshipped by the mulletude? They're just gonna piss off Bubba when he tries to drag race Mustangs.
Personally, I applaud Chevy for aiming higher than a solid rear axle but I think the mulletude will see it as betrayal. As for the interior, well my God, for anyone who has actually driven a 60's/70's vintage car, would you ever really want to go back to those instrument clusters and ergonomics? Not me. The exterior is nicely done. It's immediately recognizable as a Camaro but thoroughly modernized. They should have kept the same theme for the interior. Beyond that, the interior just looks cheap. But, that's Camaro's mission. It's supposed to compete with Mustangs as a cheap, no frills performance car, not M3's. 80% of the performance for half the price. Value!

The mulletude will love the Camaro......as soon as they figure out how to "fix" that rear axle. Bet me.....some aftermarket shop is working on it right now.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Great find, Melissa!
It looks like GM is going in the right direction with the Camaro, I think offering a V6 model is important for sales, therefor is a necessity. (Look at the bazillion V6 Mustangs running around.)

The two mistakes I think are
1) Independent rear suspension. I think most Camaro owners have thoughts (or intentions) of drag strip racing, and we all know how great the GTO's IRS is at the track. :rolleyes: They should have kept the solid rear axle.

2) Late 2008?! by then this car would have been hyped for what, 2 years? I think some people might not want to wait that long. It's like holding a great toy in a kid's face, but not letting him grab it. Eventually he's gonna go find another toy.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see GM succeed here, and have another great muscle car on the streets and on the strips, I just hope they learned something from the GTO marketing failure. You can't just have a great car, you have to be able to market it well, also.:cool

·
Registered
556 Posts
Don't know if I'm in the minority, or the majority on this one. I feel the days of the "Solid Axle" are numbered. Yeah, it may be more durable for strip duty, but IRS is worlds better for the street. Ride/handling for the IRS puts the live axle to shame. Bumps in the corner? Can't count how many times my F-bodies made me almost tip-toe on curves that the Goat, or my old E36 Bimmer, would just laugh at. And don't let it be wet out!

I think a good solution would be to make a live axle swap available for those that want to go that route, but for main-stream America, these cars NEED to have the IRS standard. Period! And that's all I'm gonna say 'bout that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It looks nice, cool gauges and stuff....
But why is there a back seat?? Did you see the non~existant leg room back there??
Looks like the same amount of leg room in the two 4th gen. Camaro's I had. :lol: Not much at all.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Looked in the back of a new Mustang? If you have legs, you're gonna have a problem!!:lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts