Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone gotten snow tires for their gto? if so, what brand and model tires did you get, and how much of an impact do they make?

i just put 180 lbs of sand in my trunk, and i'm definitely considering snow tires. i'm in syracuse, ny, so you upstate new yorkers know the conditions i'm dealing with. last winter brought record breaking snowfall to the cuse.

·
Registered
386 Posts
skibum100_777 said:
has anyone gotten snow tires for their gto? if so, what brand and model tires did you get, and how much of an impact do they make?

i just put 180 lbs of sand in my trunk, and i'm definitely considering snow tires. i'm in syracuse, ny, so you upstate new yorkers know the conditions i'm dealing with. last winter brought record breaking snowfall to the cuse.
I'm outside Buffalo. No snow tires, no sand, and I get by in the snow just fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
hey guys, Im over in Kenmore; Ive got 120# of sand in the trunk, it helps a bit; I am considering some snows, too...

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
radandy said:
hey guys, Im over in Kenmore; Ive got 120# of sand in the trunk, it helps a bit; I am considering some snows, we have the same bolt pattern and backspacing as 4WD s-series trucks (or 93+ f-bodies), you just have to watch out for overall diameter...
radandy,

Have you tried the f-body 5x120.65mm wheels on your 5x120mm GTO. Some say it will work and some say it will not. Although, .65mm is 1/2 the width of a dime, are the lugs centered in all 5 openings for a perfect fit?

Thanks,

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also am from western Ny. I drove the car one day without snow tires in some bad weather. The car just wanted to slide out from behind on ice and snow. I got two snow tires for the rear and I can't be more happy. I forget sometimes that this is a rear wheel drive car.
If you think you may need snow tires, just get them. They make a bid difference.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know what the f-series backspacing is, and wouldn't want to try it unless I had some laying around...could be an idea for someone with both, though...

·
Registered
674 Posts
offset/backspacing is about the same, just a few mm different. The brakes on the GTO are a tad smaller than the brakes on the Z28. I have 16" camaro rims with Dunlop M2s in the garage. I was going to put them on, but I have a potential buyer for them (and a different potential buyer for the car) and may try to find relatively inexpensive 17" rims.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why do you need snow tires? The tires on the GTO are M & S right? I drove mine in the snow several times already and did not have a problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How many inches on the road (not on the side of the road) are you talking about. There is snow and there is SNOW. Any sort of banked hill in the GTO with like an inch of snow and ice on the road is not a feel good experience. It seems to do ok for me, but its not inspiring or anything. All it takes is one slide off the road into a telphone pole to end your car. Tire rack is sold out for season of blizzak's in the stock tire size ...

-Frank

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would guess the roads had 2 inches of snow. Last week Cincinnati got over 20 inches of snow in a day and a half. I did not drive the day it snowed, but the day after I did without a problem. I went to parking lots with hills in them just to see how the GTO would do and I had NO problems. I traded an S-10 crew cab for this car and it does not go through snow like the truck did, but it's not bad!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drive my GTO in the snow here in NE and i have no problems with it. Even on icey roads. I picked up a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's and the make the car drive nice. The tires are quit and really hold the road. Even in the rain the GTO handles better. The stock tires were junk in my book to begin with. The ride in the dry weather is even better.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
those of you that haven't had any problems in the snow with the stock tires... the only thing i can think of that allowed you to drive efficiently is maybe the ground was still too warm, preventing it from becoming too icy. is this possible? because i recently had an icy driving experience that contradicts the idea that the gto is a decent ice/snow performer.

the day after christmas, it was snowing and extremely cold here. i was stopped at a stop light on a very very slight incline, about to make a right turn. when the light turned green, i eased off the brake, but the slight incline and the snow on the ground prevented me from rolling forward. so i gently gave it some gas, and my tail immediately started sliding sideways toward the curb. i stopped, and tried again, but same result. i finally had to back up, time it right, and get a rolling start to get thru the light and make the turn.

please believe me when i say that i'm a very experienced snow driver. i've lived in central new york for 27 years, i was a full time ski instructor for 3 years, working 6 days a week, the mountain was 50 minutes away from my house, and i had to be there on time regardless of the road conditions. so i know how to drive in the snow. but the gto is just not a good snow/ice car. granted, when i stepped out of the car that night, it was like an ice rink. but the experience was enough to prompt me to purchase snow tires. i haven't been able to give the tires any real test yet because the conditions haven't been as bad since that night. but i'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DJ_YellowGTO said:
I picked up a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3's and the make the car drive nice.
I was trying to get for those same tires, but every place i called around here said they were sold out, and they couldn't even order them from anywhere. tire rack is also sold out for the season.

i ended up getting pirelli winter 210 snowsport 225/50/17 (i was told by several different tire places that this is the narrowest tire that could fit on the gto wheels). they're narrower than the stock tires, and since they're dedicated snow tires, they're composed of a softer rubber compound, so i can't accelerate as hard without the t/c kicking in. but so far, these tires perform quite nicely. they're more quiet than i thought they'd be.

·
Registered
87 Posts
skibum100_777 said:
I was trying to get for those same tires, but every place i called around here said they were sold out, and they couldn't even order them from anywhere. tire rack is also sold out for the season.

i ended up getting pirelli winter 210 snowsport 225/50/17 (i was told by several different tire places that this is the narrowest tire that could fit on the gto wheels). they're narrower than the stock tires, and since they're dedicated snow tires, they're composed of a softer rubber compound, so i can't accelerate as hard without the t/c kicking in. but so far, these tires perform quite nicely. they're more quiet than i thought they'd be.
When I lived in northern Indiana, I used the Pirelli 210's on a number of cars and was very pleased with them. I also found them to be a fairly quiet tire. I had a set of these tires on an Audi Quattro at one point and I could accelerate in snow nearly as hard as on a dry surface. While stopping is better with the snow tires than the stock tires, you are still very limited on the braking side.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I sold my camaro wheels and snow tires, added about $100 and got a set of BMW 17X7.5 41mm offset rims with near new Blizzak LM22s 225/50/17.

Put them on yesterday. The hub of the BMW wheel is a tad larger than the GTO hub. The lug nuts have the same shape and snugged up nicely. Drove the car up to 70mph and no shaking.

The Blizzaks feel nicer than the BFGs the car came with.

I had to hunt for center caps that didnt have the roundel. Would have popped the roundel off the factory cap and painted it, but caps were not included in the deal.

Will report back after first snow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Swapped the stock Wheels and Tires with
a set of Mangels Mythus MS7011e 17"x7" rims
with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 225/50R17 tires.
There is call for 2" of snow in Chicago area tomorrow.
I expect a lot better traction. :willy:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Here is your report, The LM-22s are quieter than the BFGs, smoother, and better in the rain and very good in the light snow I drove through yesterday.

Bottom line, BFG's stink.

I called a place www.cheapwheels.com. For $879 delivered they will sell you a set of TSW rims with WS-50s, mounted and balanced with all hardware and necessary hub spacers. Pretty good deal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts