Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
took delivery last night so i couldn't look at the car that well. this morning i noticed a ton of spots on the car that look like milky blobs. rubbed it with my finger and no change. washed the car and no change. took it to the dealer and they believe it's a factory defect.

so, it looks as though i may be getting another car. does anyone know if i can search online for the location of other 06's? when i look on the pontiac and gm sites GTO is only listed under 2005.

G

·
dude, I hate to say it but, somebody done jizzed on your paint job !!!

Looks like it is under the clearcoat which means you aint NEVER gonna get it out unless you use a sander and paint gun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
big_mike said:
dude, I hate to say it but, somebody done jizzed on your paint job !!!

Looks like it is under the clearcoat which means you aint NEVER gonna get it out unless you use a sander and paint gun!
i was excited to get it, but not that excited :D

yeah, i will be demanding a new car tomorrow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RKB4C said:
I would never take delivery of a car with those defects.

Inspect the cars when you pick them up.

Once they have your money, you're SOL.
i checked it over as well as i could in the conditions that were present (rain and night). and, i already talked to the dealer which said they will get another vehicle.

so, if you drive off the lot and the doors fall off and the engine blows up you're sol because you paid them?

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Believe it or not, most dealers have a remedy for it and some most not have gotten the service bulletin on this. The spots can from the plastic they used to wrap the car. And yes it's under the clear coat. Color sanding and buffing won't do anything. The dealership I bought it from tried sanding it out. Didn't work! They even scheduled an appointment for me to bring it back to get it repainted. A friend of mine that details cars at a GM dealership said that the remedy was to use a heat gun to remove the spots. He waved the gun back and forth about a couple of inches from the spot. It took him less than 5 minutes to get all the spots out. And the spots never came back. So mention this to the service rep and hopefully they'll be able to hook you up in a few minutes :cheers

Also I got my car while it was raining and it was at night. I didn't see the spots until a couple of days later in the direct sunlight. Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks for the heatgun tip. i will mention that to them and see what their response is.

is there an actual service bulletin on this issue? TSB 050851001? is there anyway to see the details of this tsb myself?

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
rutiger said:
thanks for the heatgun tip. i will mention that to them and see what their response is.

is there an actual service bulletin on this issue? TSB 050851001? is there anyway to see the details of this tsb myself?
You're welcome :cheers

I really didn't ask about the TSB because my friend took care of the issue. He said he personally read the bulletin so the dealership should be able to produce this TSB without any problems. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holden said:
My first GTO had to be replaced to. Dud I dident want to say anything before but in all your pics bumper dont seem to match.
i also noticed that the bumper doesn't match that well. it only seems noticeable in certain conditions. i would like to find another silver GTO to compare to.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would suggest getting a new car if you can stand the wait. There is something about accepting a "repaired" car off the lot. Heat gun on the paint is not a good thing and you don't know what affect that will have down the road...you may get heat gun blotches 10X worse that what you currently have in a few years.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Russ2005 said:
I would suggest getting a new car if you can stand the wait. There is something about accepting a "repaired" car off the lot. Heat gun on the paint is not a good thing and you don't know what affect that will have down the road...you may get heat gun blotches 10X worse that what you currently have in a few years.
Using the heat gun is what's recommended by GM. I'm sure they describe the proper way to use the heat gun to prevent damage. If they screw it up then they'll have to repair it on their dime. The heat gun was used on my car in April and no damage what-so-ever was done and the spots never came back. The choice is up to you which way you decide to go. I just hope the problem gets resolved.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
big_mike said:
every car has its share of problems. But, small problems aside, its still a kickass ride!
i agree. and, owning a number of american sports cars (and truck...lightning) i'm used to minor imperfections. for 30k i don't expect a flawless car, but blotchy paint is too much to ignore.

G

·
oh I agree with ya there! Hopefully you can get it fixed and keep your current car! I kinda like this wallpaper.

p.s. - if you have any HQ of your vette, I would like those too!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.