Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now my 69 GTo has F40/14 Firestone wide oval (RWL) and the look fantastic! However the date codes on these tires are late in 2007/? No wear. no cracks, no bumbs, no leaks, letters look fantastic. but I have a philosophical problem running tires made 13 year ago and they have been subject to UA/UB light and further Ozone degradation thru the years. I've seen new tires sitting around for decades that were brand new and put on a car only to fail!

So now I want to get a wider tire from BF Goodrich TA RWL that are 245/60 14? Will they fit? Every thing is pretty close and of course tread width would be wider 30mm. (or 15mm each side) Anyone have a suggestion or experience with these tires? Any information is welcome... thanks!

·
Premium Member
358 Posts

Running 245 60 14 all 4 on a 72.No issues.it is definitely time for you to get new tires

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.... apparently the 14" rims are at least 7.5" . Going to buy the Goodrich radials today with raised white letters! 245/60/14 from Jegs. I can get them for $140 a pop (with coupon) which I think is cheap! I'm anxious to get the old (date-coded 2008) bias tires off. They drive like crap! Also... because this car sat so long... there are still some "flattening" of the tire. Makes for a "shaky" experience at 70 MPH and they "hunt" as well??

The next question is about alignment. Modern alignment machines generally don't have a lot of information on older vehicles. Can anyone share some basic alignment numbers with me please?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts