Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we had a pretty darn good time.

I still haven't gotten my Ecsta 710 race tires, so I was on street tires today. It was cold, and the asphalt on this particular track is sealed. So basically, it's just a big ice-rink!

I beat most or all of the cars that weren't AWD, including some pretty good drivers in Miatas, and Mustangs. I have pretty much made up my mind that I will be competing at Solotime events around the midwest this year, in hopes of getting a top 10 placing at Nationals this year.

Some things that concern me about racing my GTO though:

1. The power steering doesn't want to catch up to my inputs... The wheel gets hard to turn when trying to re-direct quickly.

2. It pushes pretty hard, at low, or high speeds. I didn't adjust the air pressures too much, which could make a difference.

3. The brakes. They aren't good.

Now with the brakes, I'm pretty sure something is failing on my car. After casually driving my car, I get out and it smells a lot like clutch. (or brakes.) I think I may have a brake dragging.

AND, ever since I picked up my car, I thought the brakes have felt weird. They don't have much feedback, it's a really soft feel. I didn't think much of it, but after doing a few panic stops on the highway (with no one around) I noticed the pedal was almost on the floor, and the car WOULD NOT STOP. I ran into this problem today, coming into a Chicago box, the brakes flat out weren't working, and I ran right thru a couple cones.

Does anyone have this trouble with your brakes? I mean how do they feel?

I'll be setting up another appointment with the dealership in a day or two to have them checked out.

Anyways, input/feedback is welcome!

PS: I was really excited to see a Black '04 GTO show up before the event started today. I was hoping for some competition! But he left before anything really got underway...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, the TC was definitely off... hehe I hope to have a few pics up at some point this week of the event, I roasted the tires all the way down a few straightaways. Fun!

I was thinking of doing the pad change as well, I was hoping to do the C5 Hawks, but have to check the rulebook to see if this is legal. For sure I'll be bleeding the brakes real soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.