Pontiac GTO Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys... I bought an 06 this time last year.. I just traded it in for an SS Impala.. A couple of things that drove me to the edge...

NO darn trunk! Not even enough room for a weekend away lugage. The gas tank placement was a huge mistake.

The rear end whine just could not be fixed. I had it done 2 times with the latest mods... same problem. The whine was too much to take considering my commute hovers around the harmonic point of 50mph

The power front seat was way too slow. I didn't like waiting 2 minutes to move the seats forward to get my 2 young kids in there. Even forward, there is not enough room.

Squeeks.. The build quality was horrible.. I stuffed more foam rubber under the dash to quiet the thing

The crappy paint... I too had way too many paint chips.. the paint was so thin.

This is a great car for a single guy with no family... anyone else should really consider something else...

Sorry guys..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
seems like some of these cars leave the factory great (like mine) and others just sucked. i agree with the paint part of it. the rest of it doesn't bother me. i find the build quality good for paying 25g for a 05 with 4,000 miles. still better than 90% of other american cars. i guess it not technically american though. if you have kids, you need a suv if you have a gto. i have one so it works for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
She's not a family car, that's for sure. I've got a 10-year-old* that loves the seat, and loves sitting in the back seat. Sounds to me like it just wasn't practical for you...don't have a whine in the rear end myself.

I didn't think I was buying a family car. What I thought I was buying was a blistering-ass 400HP - 400Ft-Lb torque unpretentious bad-ass that was going to substitute a good 20 minutes of cardio workout a day. I think I got the car I thought I was buying :rofl:

Gerry

* She already knows how long it will be 'till she gets the keys to Daddy's car :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,083 Posts
Anyone that either A: has kids, or B: plans to use this car in a normal manner should read this post, and save some money.

Congrats on the Impala SS. I really like that car, and the DOD will get you 30 mpg @ 50mph, I'm sure.

I'm sick about my car's paint. I've had the car since January, it has 3500 miles, I've waxed it 3 times, and I still have many chips. My Goat is Phantom Black, and I've got lots of little white flecks all over that I can see and feel with my fingernail.

If it wasn't for the LS2, the car would be gone.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
That Impala SS is pretty sharp....

I am a Monte Carlo fan.... Always have been... I had 2 1971's. The first one I had was a 350 Turbo Jet.... console on the floor... Man I wish I wouldn't have wrecked it and still had it...

I like the new Monte Carlo SS. Very hot looking car.... I did a double take when I saw the sticker at 36K. I really like the car but not at that price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
My neighbor just bought a Monte SS. It looks good and man did they get the exhaust note exactly right. The GTO sounds a bit better, but both the Monte and the GTO sound much better than my C6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
172 Posts
Sorry to hear about your disappointments. I've had my black 06 m6 for about six months now and its still awesome. But I am single however. I don't have a problem with chips in the paint. But I also make sure I do not follow other vehicles too close. No rear end whine either. My GTO experience has been VERY positive these six months. I still can not get enough of this cars power and driving excitement! :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
how could anyone like the SS? let alone compare it to a GTO? that is the most white trash car on the road. everytime i see those ******* SS's with the dale jr. or jeff gordon stickers on them, i just laugh and have to give them a thumbs down. yuk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
enjracing said:
how could anyone like the SS? let alone compare it to a GTO? that is the most white trash car on the road. everytime i see those ******* SS's with the dale jr. or jeff gordon stickers on them, i just laugh and have to give them a thumbs down. yuk.
No I'd say the new impala ss looks like a toyota camary. At least the gto carrys an american car look:lol: Now the 1996 impala ss, different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I'm sorry your GTO ownership experience wasn't as good as others on this site. Nevertheless congratulations on your Impala. And for the record I love the new style Impala's! They are light years ahead of the last generation in terms of styling.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
enjracing said:
how could anyone like the SS? let alone compare it to a GTO? that is the most white trash car on the road. everytime i see those ******* SS's with the dale jr. or jeff gordon stickers on them, i just laugh and have to give them a thumbs down. yuk.

Not all the SS's are the signature series. I am not a NASCAR fan or a follower and I wouldn't have a signature series SS. I am far from a *******, you'll never see me at a monster truck event or mod bogs. I don't display my shot gun in the rear window of my pick up and I don't chew tobacco. The Monte SS, and Impala SS are a sharp looking cars, so get over it.

I never compared the Monte Carlo SS to the GTO. Just because you think your taste is superior to others on here doesn't mean anyone with taste buds less than yours is white trash. If you wanna drive around and act like a 16 yr old giving other drivers a thumbs down when you see them in their inferior than thou set of wheels to appease your highly intellectual appetite, more power to ya.

Your track record of posts on here boasting of your racing knowledge and prowess doesn't reflect to the posts of whining you continue to display. You malign others on here with your smart ass remarks while advertising your advanced knowledge on everything you write. Except of course for the MPG you are pist off about, the weight of the seats, gas tank cage, wind dynamics on the spoiler and every other piece of the car you want to strip off to gain an advantage when racing inferior cars to the next red light. If that ain't red neck I don't know what is. What I fail to understand is someone buying a 3700 pound car with a 6.0L engine that clearly displays 17 mpg....paying 33K to strip it down just so one can beat up on other white trash cars.

With your advanced knowledge of spoilers, weights and measures, seats, wind shear, and all other racing technical data, you sure don't know very much about street cars. Why not just modify your GTO and keep it on the track, and let us white trash, ******** drive our pathetic pieces of junk on the road? BTW... I haven't seen you on PINKS... let us know when you show up there, I'd like to see just how good you really are. I'd like to see all your knowledge put to the test.

This post is way out of character for me, and I apologize for spouting but after seeing some people on here maligning others with cheap shots with absolutely no positive input to help others, and talking plain $hit, I couldn't resist.

Now back to your regularly scheduled posts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
GTO judge said:
...but after seeing some people on here maligning others with cheap shots with absolutely no positive input to help others, and talking plain $hit, I couldn't resist.
:agree I don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I'd have to agree. One of the things that impressed me the most about this forum when I joined back in March was how friendly and helpful everyone was. Now it seems like a lot of recent posts contain a bunch of bullsh!t with someone calling someone else A) a *******, or B) an uppity snob. You can disagree with someone and still be polite and respectful, you don't have to resort to hurling personal insults at each other just because you don't share the other person's opinion. That's really childish.
So if anyone wants to flame me, I'm wide open to it... I was born and raised in Michigan (GO BLUE!), so I'm good for the yankee snob insults, and now I live in the deep south, so I guess that makes me a Skoal-packing illiterate ******* too. Take your pick. :D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
kegbelly said:
:agree I don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but I'd have to agree. One of the things that impressed me the most about this forum when I joined back in March was how friendly and helpful everyone was. Now it seems like a lot of recent posts contain a bunch of bullsh!t with someone calling someone else A) a *******, or B) an uppity snob. You can disagree with someone and still be polite and respectful, you don't have to resort to hurling personal insults at each other just because you don't share the other person's opinion. That's really childish.
So if anyone wants to flame me, I'm wide open to it... I was born and raised in Michigan (GO BLUE!), so I'm good for the yankee snob insults, and now I live in the deep south, so I guess that makes me a Skoal-packing illiterate ******* too. Take your pick. :D
You are not an official red neck until you drive a Monte Carlo SS. :willy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
If Only the Impala SS And Monte Carlo Were RWD.....

My first new car was a 1965 Impala SS, red/black, with the 300 HP-327 cu. in. engine and a Powerglide tranny. In its heyday it would do 0-60 in about 7.8 seconds, which was pretty good back then. I thoroughly loved that car!

Now everyone knows how ancient I am!:D
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
My first Monte as Blue / Blue with a black vinyl top... Buckets with a 350 Turbo Jet...Dog Dish Ralleys. It was a rocket on wheels. Dec of 77 I hydroplaned it into a phone pole and totaled it one month before my wedding . Only accident I ever had. I was young and stupid. I went out and found a bench seat same colors with a 350 no Turbo. Wasn't as nice as the other one but it still moved. Traded it on a 1985 Monte. I was leaning towards the 85 Monte SS but at 18K in 1985 I didn't want to spend that much.

I couldn't believe they discontinued the Monte's for the Lumina. That went over like a lead balloon. When the Monte's resurfaced they looked like Lumina's, to me they were awful looking... Then the SS's surfaced and the look of them to me anyway, improved.

I am right there with ya in age........old timer LOLOLOL

I did read somewhere that GM was contemplating making the Monte's RWD again. Heard nothing of the Impala's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
kegbelly said:
: I was born and raised in Michigan (GO BLUE!), so I'm good for the yankee snob insults, and now I live in the deep south, so I guess that makes me a Skoal-packing illiterate ******* too. Take your pick. :D
My wife is from Chicago and now she lives in the south with me, I lovingly call her my southern fried yankee *******, and she gracefully accepts. I guess we all have alittle bit of snob, yankee, *******, and any other profiling that we would admit too.

I too am growing tired of the NEG posts, can we all grow up and just get along. We all have a common bond ( We are GOAT herders)
:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
pinks? how stupid. i was a road racer, not sorry ass drag racer (takes no talent, just like NASCAR racing). i have not and have no plan on ever stripping my nice car down to race ricers at stop lights. again, not a drag racer. get over it guy. i wasn't talking to anyone personally. SS's are just hideous cars and very white trash. plus, i don't give thumbs down because my car is more expensive like you so rediculously stated. if an SS cost 75 grand, it would get more thumbs down from me!!! when did i ever say i was stripping my car down? shedding some pounds to make it handle better and brake better once i do my suspension mods, is white trash? you act as if i got rid of the A/C and took the back seats and radio out in a daily driver. never would. anyone with any class though would not drive a SS no matter how fast it was. i wasn't pointing anyone out, so grow up. and again.........SS's are nasty looking white trash mobiles!!!!! peace. :rofl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
569 Posts
enjracing said:
pinks? how stupid. i was a road racer, not sorry ass drag racer (takes no talent, just like NASCAR racing). i have not and have no plan on ever stripping my nice car down to race ricers at stop lights. again, not a drag racer. get over it guy. i wasn't talking to anyone personally. SS's are just hideous cars and very white trash. plus, i don't give thumbs down because my car is more expensive like you so rediculously stated. if an SS cost 75 grand, it would get more thumbs down from me!!! when did i ever say i was stripping my car down? shedding some pounds to make it handle better and brake better once i do my suspension mods, is white trash? you act as if i got rid of the A/C and took the back seats and radio out in a daily driver. never would. anyone with any class though would not drive a SS no matter how fast it was. i wasn't pointing anyone out, so grow up. and again.........SS's are nasty looking white trash mobiles!!!!! peace. :rofl:
Now, we all know I tend to say things that others don't always agree with here, but this is just low. To flat out insult someone based on their preference in cars, racing, etc. is just plain wrong. It is like if someone were to say to you "hell, I'd fake my own death too if I was married to someone in your family" based on your attitude- unecessarily low and uncalled for :D. For those who don't know, research ENJ to see who he is :).
Joe
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top