Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:willy::willy: Thought I post here since I mainly hung out with you old school guys. Sold it around July 4th. We had it for 10 years and I thought it was time to wrench on something completely different. Didn't even have to put it on the market. A friend of mine who has a friend has been looking at the car for a couple of years waiting for it to go up for sale. The buyer and his other buddy were trying to find their cars from back in the day. His buddy had a '68 Verdoro Green, black interior, 455 AND Keystones. The only thing missing were hidden headlights....

Anyway, the guy that bought it sold it to his buddies wife who gave it to her husband as a present. I guess he was tickled to death about the car. I just thought it was a cool story. Nice it went to someone who really appreciated it...

Since I'm not a Goat owner anymore, I asked Admin and the Mods to take me off the Mod list. Didn't seem right to be a Mod w/o a Goat!

I also want to say thanks to a bunch of you guys. Since joining the forum I've learned a TON about GTOs. If I ever get another one I'll know exactly what I'm getting... :cheers

I did purchase another car within a couple of weeks of selling. It's one of the cars that's been on my list since HS. Didn't go looking for it, just happened to appear fairly close by on C/L. We were looking for streetrodded cars/trucks and even Vettes. Although, the wife didn't want a Vette...:eek:

We ended up buying a '34 Ford. Same year car in ZZ Tops vids. :) 350 chebby, TH350, shift kit, Hurst Promatic 2 ratcheting shifter, 9" Ford w/3.55(about), electric windows/seats, tilt/telescoping camaro column, leather interior, AC/heat. Eventually I want to change out the rims. Probably go with reversed chrome and caps.

Sorry for the novel. Here's some pix:

Here's the rims I want:

·
Registered
659 Posts
That kind of suprized me that it was you that sold the goat, your gonna miss her some day. That's a pretty cool ride you picked up there, I have always wanted a 32 3 window, with fenders and hood. Definately change those fugly wheels, have anything in mind? Spoked wheels would be classy.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fellas, it's a blast to drive.

68GTO - I plan on staying old school with reversed chrome rims. Just like the ones on another '34 in my last pic....

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
You're still turning a wrench, all good in my book.

It sounds like you'll still be around this forum. Please chime in whenever, your knowledge was/is helpful.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Greenie, you've always been helpful and I hope you still will be. You've got good taste. I like the wheel choice. We all need to diversify...if we had unlimited funds we could get all the cars we like. I once had a '37 Chrysler 2 seater buisiness coupe (straight 8) that I sold, and I still miss it, but we can't keep 'em all. Congrats on the change, and I sure hope you stick around if you have the time.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Ya, I'm going to pop in every now and then, probably more(HA). Been on the forum so long that a bunch of you long timers are practically family! Got to know some of the not so long timers too.

So many cars, so little time Jeff....Lol BTW, my knowledge couldn't hold a candle to yours.... :) Eventually, God willing, I'll sell this one and hopefully get something different again....... For now we'll just enjoy it....... We'll look into a wheel change next spring.... :)

I'm going to keep the '68 in my sig. It puts a smile on my face.....;)

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
You're too kind. There are many folks out there who can and do run circles around me. I'm a 'low tech' kind of guy. We know what we know, but the neat thing is, we can all learn, and that's the fun of it. I've been toying with the idea of getting another old coupe, and have looked at some '36-'40 Fords.....I like the 'retro' rodded ones with hopped up flatheads and tuck and roll interiors, like the ones I saw in the '60's as a little kid. Big$$$, though. The neat thing about these old cars is you can buy them, drive them, and if you want, sell them, and they cost you almost nothing, as opposed to buying a $40,000 new car and selling it in 8 years for $3500. Nothing classier than old steelies on these fat fendered rods, though.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
None of us are getting any younger, stop toying and start buying! That would be very cool.... You still see some of those old flatheads at shows.... Have you thought about building one to save a little $ upfront? Trouble is like anything else, in the long run it would cost most of us more $. At least you could spread it out over a few years.... Or, are your building/restoring days over????????

Yep, all that chrome with the steelies should look pretty cool......

A side not, I have a catalog from Honest Charley Speed Shop. It's the '56 - '57 edition. The catalog is like brand new. My dad had it. Full of Weiand flatheads. Can't forget about Offenhauser either...;)

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I'm not that old yet.....will be 53 in Feb. I like the idea of an older, run down car, but not a total build. One that caught my attention was a black '40 coupe in Utah that had been rodded in 1955, and still had a '57 Speed Weeks sticker from Bonneville on the windshield, etc. Worn black paint (but nice enough for me), red and white tuck and roll, twin Strombergs, Navarro heads, etc. It was a 'barn find' that ran and drove, and needed some TLC, but it was still 30k-ish, which was why I didn't go for it. Neat car, though. For me, the older and more dated the 'look', the better. Being in CA, and near Bakersfield, I attend the vintage drags and swap meets regularly, and there are a lot of vintage rides and there is a TON of vintage speed equipment available. If the right one pops up, I'm on board. But all the pieces need to fall in place. The neat thing about a rod is that nothing can be 'wrong'. You can have it like YOU want it, and it's all good!!

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
Very nice rod Troy and I hope you have many trouble free miles in her. :D

Always loved the look of your GTO as it sits in your sig, not stock, kinda late 70's early 80's retro. That's just how I like my cars, stock-ish but with a nice rake and your car had the look nailed. :cool

I know you'll make that 34 your own with some subtle upgrades (WHEELS!! lol) but overall that is one bitch-en' ride dude! :cheers

Will miss you as a mod, I'm not too sure about that BearGFR dude......

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not that old yet.....will be 53 in Feb. I like the idea of an older, run down car, but not a total build. One that caught my attention was a black '40 coupe in Utah that had been rodded in 1955, and still had a '57 Speed Weeks sticker from Bonneville on the windshield, etc. Worn black paint (but nice enough for me), red and white tuck and roll, twin Strombergs, Navarro heads, etc. It was a 'barn find' that ran and drove, and needed some TLC, but it was still 30k-ish, which was why I didn't go for it. Neat car, though. For me, the older and more dated the 'look', the better. Being in CA, and near Bakersfield, I attend the vintage drags and swap meets regularly, and there are a lot of vintage rides and there is a TON of vintage speed equipment available. If the right one pops up, I'm on board. But all the pieces need to fall in place. The neat thing about a rod is that nothing can be 'wrong'. You can have it like YOU want it, and it's all good!!
53 in Feb, eh? I'll be 52 in Feb! And the wife will turn the big 5-0 in Feb too(you didn't hear that from me:shutme:lol:).....

That's the thing, they try to get crazy money for a driver that needs a bunch of work. Watching too much Barrett I guess. Which I'm watching now. '64 Goat just went across for $41k. Keep looking. I would think being out on the left coast there must be tons of options......

I agree about building a rod your way. Do what you want and it wont deter from the value. Don't have to play the numbers game. They're all put together with whatever..... Just need to do a decent job when building it....

Alky! - Is there ever a such a thing as trouble free????????:willy:

Late 70's/early 80's is exactly the look I wanted. That was the look when I was in HS. Car has got to have rake....Lol

Bitchen'! My daughter calls it the Milner. She drove it for the first time today. She's a senior in HS. Probably the closest we're going to get to John's in American Graffiti..... If it ever needs a repaint, and I doubt it, it will be bright yellow........ It was painted 2 years ago....

Make sure you keep one eye open around Bear........:eek::lol:

Congrats Bear......:cheers

·
Registered
554 Posts
Of the gods...

Sorry to hear of your departure from the privilege of attending to any goat at this point, 68greengoat, but have enjoyed your contributions immensely as a fellow "tender of the herd" and "MODULATOR",so to speak. Somewheres here abouts this place, I got a photograph of my Mom and her sister long 'bouts taken in 1936 (when my Mom was 13 and her sister was 19) in the back of a rumble seat of a '33 Model A. Man, if only I could acquire one of those automobular devices a'fore the end, (which will come one way t'other, conveniently soon), all would be good. That is one COOL chariot you have there, Captian!!!! :cheers :D P.S.... You cradle robber, you... :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts