Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, didnt take someone long. Some idiot in a POS busted up neon just planted himself into my front fender from the side. Damage isnt TOO bad from what I can see.. Ruined the fender and the right side of the front facia. Whell may have to be replaced as it has been scuffed pretty bad. My steering wheel is also off about 90 degress to the right. Im guessing a bent tie rod or he at least knocked the alliment out pretty bad... Looks like the wheel and fender took most of the impact.

I wonder how available these parts are?

Woudlt the body shop use a front SAP instead of the original facia? Probably easier for them to get, and I wanted one anyway.. I would bet its cheaper too.

Anyone have experience with GTO damage like this

Man am I hot.... Car doesnt even have 500 miles on it yet...

·
Registered
307 Posts
That sucks. I think the police would have to cuff me at the scene to keep me from beating the snot out of the other driver. But that still would leave my legs free to kick his ass.

Might be a good idea to get your camber checked BEFORE any repairs take place, in order to determine if there is more alignment damage than just the steering wheel being off-center (toed way in). If you have extra negative camber on the "hit" side, your spindle or control arm might be bent, or the strut tower pushed inwards. It all depends on the location of the impact.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I generally do a good job of controlling my bad temper, but I suspect that if someone hit my GTO, I'd be very inclined to do something stupid.
I actually had this happen to me on another vehicle, I had owned the truck for THREE days whenever some no-driving uh...woman (I almost forgot that this was a family forum) was running her fat mouth on the phone instead of watching where she was going, so she rear-ended me at 40 mph...which pretty much destroyed the rear end of the truck. However, that wasn't the worst part...she had no insurance...and of course no money. "pissed" was an understatement for how I felt.
Anyway, make sure that your GTO looks, handles and runs the same as it did before you sign off and take re-delivery of the car. I'd take it to the best body shop in town to make sure of all those things are PERFECT. Good Luck.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
That sucks! I know how you feel. I had about 2K miles on mine when I zipped into a Walmart for about 5 minutes (literally). And yes, I parked in a remote area of the parking lot with no cars around me. Well, some hillbilly from East Nowhere PA managed to ram a shopping cart into the rear quarter on the passenger side. I only had some minor sheet metal damage but it still pi$$ed me off. There is no shortage of stupid a$$holes in this world.

You'd think these losers with no money and no insurance would be extra careful because that car they are driving can't be easily replaced. But, then again, that's why they're losers.

Good luck with repairs.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Actually, they CAN be easily replaced. They're usually driving something from the 80s or early 90s, which can be replaced for about $500, which is why they really don't give a damn. If someone sues them, oh well, they've got nothing to take, so it doesn't affect them one way or the other.
I'd feel mighty bad if I damaged someone's new car, but some people really don't care. Respect for others' property went down the drain a long time ago.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh its better than that......

I could say lots of things about this guy.... But he jumps out of his POS beater and starts ranting about how he just had it worked on and that HE had the right of way and I was going to pay pay pay. There happened to be an abulance right there waiting behind me.. They both jumped out and had to calm the guy down.. I was just staring him up and down waiting for him to do something stupid. I didnt even say a word.. Thats how much of a fool this guy was... He just got his car out of the shop? Like I give a ****. I dont even have 500 miles on mine and it has neon guts all over it now.

What happened-

I was turning left out of a parking lot... Nice guy decides to let me out. I wave back and proceed to pull out when this dolt decides he HAS to make the light. He jerks his car around the guy stopped to let me out and WHAM right into my fender. I never even made it to the lane, I mean what moron.

The police here in Charlotte "Dont determine fault" whatever that means. He gave us each a police report and that was that.. Except for the putz in the neon, well plugged me so hard he busted his radiator. I drove home, he waited on a tow, which he probably couldnt afford.

So Im sure my wonderful insurance rate I was so happy about will go up now.. All because of this stupid ****

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hmm, I guess that means your insurance will try to determine who was at fault. Your rates won't go up if you're not found at fault.
One of the odd things here in MO is that if there is a deer (or other animal) in the road, and you swerve to miss the deer, but hit something else, your rates WILL go up. The deer is considered no-fault if you hit it, but trying to dodge it and hitting something else is considered your fault. Seems like common sense that most people are going to try to miss the deer.
Sounds like you need to beware of the frivilous lawsuit, he sounds like a real jackass who is just waiting to take someone to court.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Are you in a small town or something? Outside of town? 30 minutes to an accident is a bit excessive...maybe he had a dunkin' donuts emergency. ;)

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Borsig said:
Oh get this -

Cop took 30 minutes to get there.. AMbulance waited.. cuz the guy was, well a jerk...

10 minutes before the cop arrives, he climbs into the back of the ambulance.
Hey, look at it this way, that guy has already been punished.......There's a reason he's driving a beater.

STUPID IS FOREVER!

·
Registered
700 Posts
You can fix fat, you can even fix ugly these days, but you just can't fix stupid. Yeah, that's punishment, unfortunately, he takes it out on the rest of us...which really sucks when he runs into your new GTO. :eek:

Still, 30 minutes is a bit excessive. A lot of evidence can disappear in 30 minutes. I guess since they don't find fault, that doesn't matter though.

Hopefully the guy didn't damage your front end or frame and it'll be a simple sheet metal repair. After all, you shouldn't be punished for his ignorance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im sure something mechanical is damaged.. The steering is off really bad. It still seems to handle ok, but the steering is just outta whack. Of course, I didnt have it over 45 on the way home either.

·
Registered
700 Posts
It probably just knocked it out of alignment (if you're lucky). Hopefully it's nothing worse. I'd still have several shops look at it to make sure that nothing serious was damaged. Needless to say, steering is kind of a cruicial element in a car that can do 150+ mph.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Your steering wheel can be off even if your alignment is perfect. Just because your steering wheel is off doesn't necessarily mean that you have serious problems...of course it doesn't mean you DON'T either.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Borsig said:
Yes, Im very worried about the suspension. The wheel took alot of the impact I think.. Its evident in the steering wheel being turned 90 degrees to the right (impact side)
You should lay the car up if ya have suspension damage for safety reasons. God forbid ya have another incident and its found that the prior accident caused another one, you will be in big cah cah with insurance company. It is your responsibility to take proper care and custody of your vehicle after an accident. If you continue to drive it while the steering is impaired.......well I dont wanna go any further.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.