Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi everyone my father passed i am in kinda a bad situation here and i want to move out but i want a expert opinion on this car i want to hold on to it but i cant be happy were i am at. here is what i have i want to no if anyone can be honest and tell me what they think its worth as of now

1968 gto Vedora Green 400/ 4 speed matching numbers never been restored

rear defrost build sheet tilt column factory ac car power steering . posi tag still on rear end from gm. oringal green interior near perfect factory hood tach

everything works expect doesnt have the ac comppersor. no rust all orignal sheet metal good paint. and it has headers because the exhuast was leaking i have the oringal mainfolds though. it has 4 piston brakes in the front and drum in rear. if someone could help me i really would appricate it thanks.

Attachments

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
According to the NADA price guide, you're looking at $10,900.00 on the low side and $42,700.00 on the high side. Being it has original paint and is rust free with #s matching, I might be inclined to up those figures just a bit.
ClassicCars.com

I'd rather see you keep it as it's only going to go UP in value over the years.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
That's a well-optioned GTO that hasn't been hacked or "upgraded". My advice is to KEEP THE CAR. If you can't, have it appraised by a professional and /or put it on ebay with an appropriatly high reserve. I almost bought a car similar to yours earlier this year for 12k, but it was an automatic with drum brakes. The AC worked, though. I think your car would bring more than that, even in this economy....perhaps 18k or so?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Depends on where you sell it. Personally I would try to hold onto it as prices are way down. Does it have hideaway headlights? What other options does it have? Original paint and no rust is hard to find. In other words...we need more info and there are a lot of variables! Around my area 18-22k also this is not a good time of year to sell.:cheers Eric

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
:agree I'd love to have that car. I'd buy it from you today(like kicking a buddy when hes down). BUT, i don't think you should sell it!!!!!!! So I retract my offer!:willy:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Maybe you can sell it to someone you know and trust, like Eric, that will sign a contract to sell it back to you first if they decide to sell it, or if you decide it was a mistake to have sold it. It's hard to sell a car like this, but I understand that if the sale will get you out of a bad position, hey life happens, and we have all sold cars that we regret selling.
I'm sure we have a couple people watching this link waiting for a price with keys in their hand and money in their pocket!! Not me, I'm car rich, money poor, lol..

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
4 piston calipers were standard on '67 and '68 disc brake cars. The more standard single piston calipers were introduced in '69, I believe.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Why does it have 4 piston calipers on the front, odd?
I too find this very odd, given the fact that even late model cars don't come with 4 piston calipers unless it's a new vette. Are you sure you didn't fudge that up a little? If you're going to sell (and I pray that you don't for your sake), you may want to take a better look at the car to make sure that you get the info right. The more correct info you can provide for the interested party, the higher a price you may get. If you absolutely have to sell, I subscribe to the opinion that you do so with a "contract" to buy back. I would highly suggest the storage option, though. I understand that I don't know your situation, but I've been in a similar situation and fought tooth and nail to keep mine. I wouldn't give mine up for the world and it makes having it that much sweeter. Wish you the best.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
4 piston calipers were standard on '67 and '68 disc brake cars. The more standard single piston calipers were introduced in '69, I believe.
Cool stuff. I guess they leaked too much like the vette calipers and went back to single piston. Were they all power disc set ups, or were there non power discs? Do they repo those with the stainless sleeves like the vette? I guess Pontiac did a goofball thing with those, like they did with the super cool 8 lug wheels.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Jetstang, yes, they were overkill at the time. Pistons would hang up due to lack of maintainence (rust/sediment in the system, etc.) and they were hard to service. 4 pistons, but fairly small ones at that. I don't know if you could get manual discs or if it was just power. Good point. Pontiac did a bunch of ballsy, cutting edge stuff back then..."rope" driveshafts, 8-lugs, overhead cam 4 bbl 6 cylinders, Hurst shifters in factory cars, Endura bumpers, Ram Air, and on and on. Some of the stuff worked better than others, but all was interesting and innovative.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts