Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I am not sure I have the finances to get a nice GTO for my wife. The story goes her Dad had a 68 and she loved it. She wanted it but he said it was too much power for a girl to drive. He sold it to her cousin who promptly wrapped it around an inanimate object.

So for our 15th anniversary I would like to try and bring that back some but I don't think I can swing an actual 68 GTO. So i wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on what might be similar enough. Or hey maybe I can and i'm just not looking in the right place.

I was even trying to find a place that would let you rent one for a day but in philadelphia that just doesn't seem to exist. Though there is a place in York, PA but unfortunately it comes with a mandatory driver.

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
This is why there are so few of them left especially the ones with true trac since they got wrapped.
My insurance wouldn't pay if there was any other driver other than myself.
My wife refuses to drive my goat because...well it's just too much power for a girl.
;)
Actually my car was special ordered by a woman who kept it for 41 years and never put a dent in it.
IMO you are going to have to purchase one to make this happen.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah a lot of trust if someone LETS you drive their very expensive classic car. Hence why i'm wondering what alternatives there are muscle car wise that might give the same experience. Mayve it won't have a 400 cubic inch engine but maybe the same interior. I"m a newbie as far as GTO's go. What can you get for say $15,000 - $20,000?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
The original owner of my 68 was a School teacher (female) from New York. in all the documentation there is a lovely letter from her written on behalf of the car. Little things like this are priceless to me, even if does not increase the value of the car.

Welcome to the forum, check your local advertisers and there are some groups on facebook that list GTOs for sale. You may have to throw in some elbow grease and time to bring it up to spec but it would be well worth it.

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
Welcome and good luck!

Another source for GTO's to purchase would be to join the GTOAA (GTO Association of America) --- just to get their monthly newsletter. In the back of each issue every month is a classified ad section and there are always GTO's for sale. Yes, they tend to be pricey considering that these will be enthusiast/member cars, there are always some available. In my current issue alone there are two 68's listed for sale. One Midnight Blue, YS engine, Dual Gate auto, PHS documented listed at $28,000. Another Nightshade Green, dual gate, loaded, "national class winner", 3rd owner since new, PHS documented, listed at $53,500

There are also "Pontiacs for sale", "Pontiacs wanted", "Parts for sale", "Parts wanted", and "Services" sections in the newsletter available to members. Good resources...

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
You should be able to get a decent '68 GTO driver for around 20-25k. Keep in mind, it will hold or appreciate in value if you take care of it. Also keep in mind that it is just as expensive to restore or repair a LeMans or Tempest as a GTO, but the end result won't be of equal value to the GTO. That said, you could get a nice '68 LeMans or Tempest for considerably less, and have a really nice car very similar to the GTO. Buy the best car you can initially.....it is by far the cheapest and easiest option.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes since there is a local club I went ahead and joint GTOAA. Hopefully something not too far comes by. so any typical issues I should look for? From what i read somehwere...don't buy a 73 to start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes since there is a local club I went ahead and joint GTOAA. Hopefully something not too far comes by. so any typical issues I should look for? From what i read somehwere...don't buy a 73 to start.
I have a 1965 Lemans Convertible for sale Needs resto, no rust, all is there. 3k

I have 2 our 1965's NOT for sale

And i'm in NE Philly

·
Registered
212 Posts
Well the 1973s isn’t the problem, it’s nice to see the 73s and 74s due to the fact they are Rare and the part that make them less Desirable not much aftermarket parts available for restorations and the 73 are heavy and lacked performance, power and sales had fell , what you need to keep in mind is to try to stay away from the snow belt areas, due to the snow and ice and those states use salt on the roadways, salt loves metal and causes rust and rot, just my 2 cents if your looking for a project car, best thing is to buy one that someone else has gone and redone, but have cash or funds available if your wanting a clean rust free GTO, I have been watching eBay and other on line sources in search of a GTO.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would definitely consider a Lemans. Same body style as the GTO and if you get one with at least a 350 V8 it will have decent pickup. IMO, they are a steal at current pricing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts