Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this coming weekend my Son takes Driver's Ed. Once he obtains his permit I will be handing him the key's to his, formerly my 05 M6 GTO... So if your in the Oklahoma area anytime around Oct. the 1st stay off the sidewalk's...

·
Registered
242 Posts
that's a lot of power for an in-experienced driver. I know I would have killed myself if I had 400 horses at that age. Practically did with 90.

Anyway, good luck and I'm sure your son will enjoy the Goat!

What are you going to get when the son get's the GTO?

·
Registered
95 Posts
What oh what continues to compel parents to give ridiculous cars to their kids? I'm amazed insurance will even cover it. I don't mean to offend, but really, he'll do enough damage with a '92 civic. Let him get through his first accident in that, then consider handing over the goat. I'll put down $100 right now on him having an accident in the first 6 months. It didn't take anyone I knew longer than that. Hell it only took me a week. New drivers are new drivers. They're going to have an accident. You're one brave dad. Have fun with that!

·
Registered
22 Posts
OP.....whos orange goat is that?

i want mine to look just like that.....as far as tire size goes. so if its yours can you PM me?

Thanks
Matt

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
My first car was a battle tank! Back when I was in highschool, 2 kids I knew got new cars when they turned 16, one a Vette, the other a Jag, both ended up severely wrecking those cars! I know some kids can be responsible, but why take the chance. IMO. If the power is there, they'll use it!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's attending a Driver's Education course at OSU. And no he's not 16 he's 15 years and 6 month's. He does drive quite well for his age. I have a device that plugs into the car's computer so I can see how he is driving. I have to unplug it from the car and hook it up to my pc. It shows speed,rpm's etc. If he handles the car in an inappropriate manner I will take it from him and buy him a Huffy... But I appreciate everyone's view and advice. I will keep it all in mind as I hand him the key's. And here in Oklahoma when you get your permit you can't drive by yourself you have to have one of your parent's or guardian in the car with you at all times, then at age 16 they receive a graduated sanctions license where they can drive to School, Work or School activity's but they are not allowed passengers under 21. Then after a 6 month period without any violations or accident's they get a regular license..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well this coming weekend my Son takes Driver's Ed. Once he obtains his permit I will be handing him the key's to his, formerly my 05 M6 GTO... So if your in the Oklahoma area anytime around Oct. the 1st stay off the sidewalk's...
I know he may be a very responsible young man, but you may want to re-think that much power in the hands of an inexperience driver. Very good chance he or someone else will get hurt.

Just $.02 coming from a cop.

·
Registered
123 Posts
He's attending a Driver's Education course at OSU. And no he's not 16 he's 15 years and 6 month's. He does drive quite well for his age. I have a device that plugs into the car's computer so I can see how he is driving. I have to unplug it from the car and hook it up to my pc. It shows speed,rpm's etc. If he handles the car in an inappropriate manner I will take it from him and buy him a Huffy... But I appreciate everyone's view and advice. I will keep it all in mind as I hand him the key's. And here in Oklahoma when you get your permit you can't drive by yourself you have to have one of your parent's or guardian in the car with you at all times, then at age 16 they receive a graduated sanctions license where they can drive to School, Work or School activity's but they are not allowed passengers under 21. Then after a 6 month period without any violations or accident's they get a regular license..

That thing is a good idea. I just hope you aren't checking it after the car gets wrecked. Good luck, it sounds like you already have your mind made up.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Bad Idea :confused :eek:

I truely hope for the best with you, your family and your son.

·
Registered
498 Posts
As a father with a generous heart and the best of intentions, I can't tell you how many times here in South Florida I've had to cut kids out of high horsepower cars and try to bring them back to life as that's my job. It's absolutely tragic. Believe me when I say that all the negatives coming from your fellow forum members aren't anything more than concern for son's continued well being and your family's peace of mind. Semper Fi

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey guys, don't be too rough. Personally, i think it is a good idea, as long as he is a good driver. I say let him learn on power, that way taking it slow is easy.

When i got my learners permit, i was driving my 69 GTO. With my permit, no problems. Now 2 weeks after i got my license, i did have a lil bump with a curb coming out of a left hand turn with a huge cloud of smoke behind me, requiring a new wheel. And a month later, i got caught on camera doin 54 in a 45 but went to school so that got expunged. Nothin since. Thats about 5 years with no problems. I would just watch him real close for the learners permit, and then about 3 months after the license. After that, he should have learned what can, what can't, and what shouldn't be done. Hey, stuff happens, and if he comes out with as small of incidents as I did, you will have taught him well.

But definately emphasize the coolness of not having to street race someone because you know their pants will get smoked. Bliping it is cool on occassions, but not all the time.

Good luck, and i will be praying to the gods of gas tires and oil for another GTO and driver to stay safe.:rofl:

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's pretty amazing the foresight that parents have. I'm now 37, but my first car was the very underpowered Ford EXP. Although it handled very well, the 0-60 was around 12 seconds.:rolleyes:

At the time, I wished I could have had the TA or the 300 ZX etc.. But now that I'm older, I'm "over it" when it comes to crazy speed, even though I've never had it. To quote others on here, I respect the power.

In hindsight, Mom and Dad were right...again.;)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I gota be honest. My first car at 15 and 1/2 was a 69 El Camino 327 cam exhaust, holly 850 double pumper, big fat meats on the back. I had the fastest car in high school. (Wish I still had it) I have always been lucky...

What my parents were thinking letting me have that car... My GTO would have kicked my 69's ass all over the road but none the less it was a sweat ride. I'm lucky to be alive. I've always been lucky. I sold the 69, and bought a 68 VW van.

MAN did I get laid with that Van :cool

1 - 20 of 63 Posts