Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now that I know that I have a resistor wire and dont need the ceramic ballast resistor I hae two scenarios that I have done that I need some confirmation on:

1. when I had a power blaster coil on the car and pertronix unit I had the stock power wire (+) hooked up which is a resistor to the coil which is internally resisted.

2. when I had points and a stock coil I used a ballast resistor along with what I now know is a wire resistor. So i gave even more resistance.

In both these cases I gave the system more resistance than needed so I cut down my spark .....
my problems have been had hot starting and cutting out at wot (when I of course need more spark)

so is my train of thought on this correct? By running a wire that is hot at key on position and starting position that isnt a resistor wire then the blaster coil and petronix will work properly OR

if I use points and stock coil with ONLY the + resistor wire then I will get hte proper spark and not start as hard and not cut out at WOT....

sorry to ramble on but I want to make sure I am looking at this clearly, given what I have Id like to keep the current pertronix and blaster coil running a new power wire vs. points/stock coil/ resistor wire.....

·
Registered
450 Posts
With the stock points setup, you should just be running the stock resistor wire to the "+" side of the coil with no additional ballast.

With the PerTronix, you can run full 12 volts to the "+" side of the coil, so you can run a new wire from an "IGN" source at your fusebox to the coil to bypass the stock resistor wire.

Just as a sidenote, I've had bad luck with the PerTronix systems, and I remove them out of all the cars I tune and set up. The stock points system works very well with a good set of points in it (use NAPA/Echlin part number CS786 with an RR175 capacitor). This will run through 7000 rpm with no points bounce (I have a Sun distributor machine that I run all my distributors on, and I have verified this). If you want a nice upgrade to the stock points system, install an MSD6A with the points and use a good coil. This is the only ignition system upgrade that I actually see a performance improvement on the dyno runs we've done. The MSD setup will take a full 12 volts.

This may or may not fix your cutout problem, as many Pontiac high-rpm cutout issues are related to fuel supply issues.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts