Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you recommend? I figure now is a good time to swap them out while I wait on the carb kit to arrive.

Thanks! :cheers

·
Registered
168 Posts
Depends on how much you went to spend I guess, and whether or not you're looking for a bling factor.
Personally, I think any good silicone wire at least 7mm or larger in diameter is good. I prefer black, for that stock appearance. AutoZone used to sell an inexpensive (~$40ish) set of black wires, 7mm I think, that I've used on a couple of V8 engines in the past. I have MSD wires on my Corvette and I like them very much.
There are a few tight squeezes around the steering column, so boot style can be important on a Pontiac. I haven't bought plug wires for a Pontiac 400 in about 20 years, hopefully someone with some recent experience can chime in on the clearance issues.
Later
Jeff

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bling isn't a factor for me. How about the plugs?
Stock (or mostly stock) engine, I go with stock AC Delco plugs. Gap em to spec (usually .030" for points ignition) and go. Any auto parts store can give you the number if you give them the year, engine size, and maybe 2 vs 4 barrel carb. Don't waste your money on v-groove, platinum tip, or any of that other crap on an old car.
Later
Jeff

·
Registered
168 Posts
What if the ignition is HEI? Same gap or slightly larger?
Larger.....HEI gap is 0.050" if I recall correctly...you can ask the parts guys to look up, say, a '78 Trans Am with a 400, that would have HEI, and tell you the recommended gap.
Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts