Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before:

And after:

I like it...it looks more like a proper sports coupe and less like a Firebird/Camaro boy-racer thingmie.

I also added a little bit of horsepower to her today. With the addition of the large-diameter smoothbore HSV inlet pipe, K&N (actually an Accel Blue-- same thing) flat filter, and rigging a throttle body coolant bypass ( the throttle body has it's own coolant pathway, which is done as an extreme-weather anti-icing precaution by GM... bypassing this coolant flow keeps inlet air substabtially cooler), I've just added a few HP for little cashola... with the inlet pipe and K&N I can really tell a difference over ~3500 rpm of so!

·
Registered
674 Posts
dont you just love that little lip on the trunk lid. i bet that may actually have some aerodynamic purpose that was completely defeated by the tacky (err i mean tack on) spoiler. i love it without the spoiler.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Groucho - can you explain a bit more about how to do the coolant by-pass?

Also, you should pull your airbox off, add a hole to the bottom and a companion one underneath it through the fender (into the space behind the fog lamp), and reinstall to get the air into the engine it truly deserves so it reaches its true potential! Its pretty each to accomplish. I did this for my K&N CAI so now I'm really getting cool outside air into the intake and not any heated air from under the hood. It should come in very handy as the temperature goes up this summer!!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Xman said:
Groucho - can you explain a bit more about how to do the coolant by-pass?

Also, you should pull your airbox off, add a hole to the bottom and a companion one underneath it through the fender (into the space behind the fog lamp), and reinstall to get the air into the engine it truly deserves so it reaches its true potential! Its pretty each to accomplish. I did this for my K&N CAI so now I'm really getting cool outside air into the intake and not any heated air from under the hood. It should come in very handy as the temperature goes up this summer!!
Coolant bypass- there is much ad nauseum here: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15074&page=1&pp=30&highlight=throttle+body+bypass

Additional air for the airbox...I have a plan to duct it up from under the car using a NACA scoop and SCAT-11 ducting...a mod for another day. :D

The trangular hole idea is very good, but I'm not up for cutting holes in the car's structure...

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went to Home Depot to get some of the plugs and realized I didn't know what they were officially for or what they were called. Describing them to the store employee just got me dumb looks.

Can you tell me what the plugs are labeled as and where in the store (what department - plumbing etc) they were.

·
Registered
410 Posts
diverdan said:
I went to Home Depot to get some of the plugs and realized I didn't know what they were officially for or what they were called. Describing them to the store employee just got me dumb looks.

Can you tell me what the plugs are labeled as and where in the store (what department - plumbing etc) they were.

The plugs are just to keep dust out so they are not critical. You could get them after you do the mod so you know what to look for. I cut a small section out of a bent alu arrow shaft (2018) and it fit nicely into the two section of hose as a by-pass. Used a plastic zip-tie to keep it off the pulley. Mod is done!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sorry, I wasn't precise. I was actually referring to the plugs to go into trunk lid for the spoiler removal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Groucho:

Your car looks great. I have done the same to my car and I have the JHP lip spoiler waiting for installation (anyone know a good bodyshop in Burbank, CA?) Honestly, I don't know whether I should 1. paint the plugs Cyclone Gray to match the car 2. Hold out for the guy doing the billet plugs and install and paint them as well or 3. have the holes filled and trunk painted when I have the lip spoiler painted and installed.

Have you confirmed your suspician that the factory spoiler is worthless? Please respond after your commute next week with your thoughts. This is not a request for you to drive over 145 MPH. 130 will do...... Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts
diverdan said:

Ditto here... went to HD this weekend and looked in both the fastener and plumbing isles with no luck. I was in a bit of a rush though with another project.

After seeing Grouchos pics I'm even more eager to do this. Why did GM put this spoiler on????

·
Registered
304 Posts
bemeyer said:
Ditto here... went to HD this weekend and looked in both the fastener and plumbing isles with no luck. I was in a bit of a rush though with another project.

After seeing Grouchos pics I'm even more eager to do this. Why did GM put this spoiler on????
I for one am glad they DID put it on. I'm not sure if I'm in the minority on the board about this (i know i am on this tread haha) but seriously, I personally can't stand a spoilerless goat (and that has nothing to do with me being an F-Body "fan boy" ahem Groucho :cheers ) To me, I just prefer how it looks just like the tiny wing that came on my Z28...I shudder at the thought of either of them coming off. With my luck, next time my car is robbed, they'll take the spoiler! :willy:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NoBMWforME said:
Have you confirmed your suspician that the factory spoiler is worthless? Please respond after your commute next week with your thoughts. This is not a request for you to drive over 145 MPH. 130 will do...... Thanks.
Like any good flight test program, these tests must be performed methodically and carefully until the very design limits of the flight envelope are discovered. For this morning's flight card I only pushed her up to 105 mph. Miraculously enough, my Holden still remained planted firmly to the freeway asphalt, even without that carefully engineered aerodynamic protuberance I thoughtlessly deleted from my vehicle. :D

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
A few years ago Motor Trend actually had an interesting article on the effects of spoilers on production cars. After conducting a few test that concluded that they were for looks only. And when you really think about it, if spoilers did serve a purpose on production cars other than looks, why doesn't the Vipers, ZO6 (or any other Vette), most Ferraris including the Enzo, the McClaren F1 and other extremely fast cars don't come straight from the factory with them? One of Lingenfelter's Twin Turbo Vettes did 224 mph without one. And I truly doubt that a spoiler on a Deawoo Lanos creates any useable down force to increase it's performance :rofl: .

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
6QTS11OZ said:
A few years ago Motor Trend actually had an interesting article on the effects of spoilers on production cars. After conducting a few test that concluded that they were for looks only. And when you really think about it, if spoilers did serve a purpose on production cars other than looks, why doesn't the Vipers, ZO6 (or any other Vette), most Ferraris including the Enzo, the McClaren F1 and other extremely fast cars don't come straight from the factory with them? One of Lingenfelter's Twin Turbo Vettes did 224 mph without one. And I truly doubt that a spoiler on a Deawoo Lanos creates any useable down force to increase it's performance :rofl: .
Of course you're absolutely right....my post about testing w/o a spoiler was very much in the sacastic realm. It obviously does nothing, performs no function. It's bling, that's all. If you like the bling, fine. If you don't, rip it the hell off. Shrug.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like the looks of the spoiler. I just wish that the third brake light inside the backlight had been removed. (I'm sure that it would have been cost prohibitive to redesign the rear deck to remove that third brake light.) It looks goofy having the third brake light in two places.

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
Groucho said:
Of course you're absolutely right....my post about testing w/o a spoiler was very much in the sacastic realm. It obviously does nothing, performs no function. It's bling, that's all. If you like the bling, fine. If you don't, rip it the hell off. Shrug.
Personally, I think it look good both ways. If it would have came without a spoiler I still would have bought mine. Not having a spoiler makes it even more of a sleeper though.

·
Registered
674 Posts
75coug said:
I like the looks of the spoiler. I just wish that the third brake light inside the backlight had been removed. (I'm sure that it would have been cost prohibite to redesign the rear deck to remove that third brake light.) It looks goofy having the third brake light in two places.
you need the third light in the rear window for two reasons. one is the driver in back of you in an suv cannot see the wing spoilers light.

two is you need a light after you take the fugly spoiler off :rofl:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.